Gave notice today...

onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
I gave notice today to a company which I really enjoyed working for. They just don't have the resources I would like to expand my career into. So, I'm off to bigger things, but the guilt is getting me a bit because I really do like the people here. That said, I've had no raise in 4 years, but have had the opportunity to learn under a brilliant Unix mentor. Surprisingly the COO said it was a shock to him and that I was the last person he was expecting to leave. Granted the rest of the staff are here on H1Bs. Still, I think he was more upset that he wouldn't have someone to joke with, than actually loosing the company Sys Admin. I told them, I would be flexible on my final date in order to accommodate them. I can't imagine this happening in an enterprise environment, but in an SME, you know everyone, well. Guilt aside, I have two oppertunities, one of which I've accepted and the other just a pipe dream (don't expect it to pan out). Just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks.
Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It is always hard leaving a place that you enjoy working at. You are a good man for sticking around four years without a raise though. Good luck on the new journey!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Thanks much! It should be fun, I get to dig into a new ESX deployment over 3 sites as well as a SAN infrastructure. Plus more money, which is always nice.

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck in your new position. It's always tough leaving a company you're comfortable with. Sort of like throwing away your favorite old clothes.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck in your new endeavors! I always feel a little guilt when I leave a job, good or bad. Mainly because I always make friends and end up leaving them behind. Some of my closest friends came from the crappiest of jobs, which is the only thing that was worthwhile about those jobs. icon_wink.gif

I also left a job that I had enjoyed after two years because of stagnation. Great people, great boss, easy drive to work, incredibly flexible hours, and awesome pay. Problem was I was still growing as a network guy and that network consisted of 6 switches managing 4 vlans. It was a great learning environment, but it wasn't going to move me into a higher level networking position with what little work there was. Sometimes you have to make the tough decisions, and hopefully you've put in enough thought into the process that you leave with no regrets.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    im sure you made the right decision, and that your new oppurtunities will be great for you
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Change is always hard and I always second guess myself (even being at my current place for 6 months, I question how good the move was). Always remember you make the best decision you can with the information you have at the time. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Thanks for the encouragement!

Seriously felt like I was breaking up with a girlfriend or something.

It's a small hurdle in my road to sucess. I'm sure it's impact will be forgotten in a short time. Fortunately for me, I don't stew over such things and am able to keep in mind that this is for my family and I (my guilt be gone!). The goal is to not burn bridges and keep those friends I've made.

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ^5!

Exciting times, I look forward to your write up when you finally get into the environment.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Quitter! j/k Congrats on the new job! I guess my resume format worked out for you then eh? ;)
    Look what the cat dragged in! Thanks again Josh. Phones actually been ringing off the hook. I think the recruiters like your format with the word Linux in there.

@N2, will do. It should be an interesting adventure. With this experience, I'll have my 4 pillars, Linux, Networking, Virtualization, and Storage. Sprinkle some scripting on there and I'm golden. Or so I hope!

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congrats on the new job!

P.S. Share the resume format. I'm open to format changes
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We spend most of our waking lives at work. So if you enjoy that time, it's going to be hard.

Good luck, I hope the pipe dream works :)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

I don't think I would last in a position I didn't like. As you said Roguetadhg, we just spend to much time there. We'll have to see if the pipe pans out.

@Iris Thanks! It's Josh's basic format, I shot him a PM and asked if he would mind me stealing it:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/72715-have-resume-thread.html#post589253

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Your 4 golden pillars and scripting sounds extremely awesome.

Gratz again you are a good person.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to do what's best for you. As they say, "It's nothing personal. It's business."
  • TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the move! As others have said you need to do what is best for your career.
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Tough, but as you know I was in pretty much the same boat, and it's the right choice.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Everyone wrote: »
    Quitter! j/k Congrats on the new job! I guess my resume format worked out for you then eh? ;)

Anyway I could get a copy of that new resume format?
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Best of luck on the new job btw!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the move, hope it works out well for you!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    onesaint,
    Congratulations on the move. I hope you do well at your new job!!!
    Thanks all for the good thoughts!

Anyway I could get a copy of that new resume format?

onesaint wrote: »
    @Iris Thanks! It's Josh's basic format, I shot him a PM and asked if he would mind me stealing it:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/72715-have-resume-thread.html#post589253

• higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Congrats! It does seem that this month a few members are moving forward to better pastures!
  • ChipschChipsch Member Posts: 114
    Congratulations! I am in the exact same boat as you, just received an official offer letter. Absolutely love the place I am at now as far as atmosphere is concerned, the technology is extremely lacking though. It doesn't exactly live up to what I was told when I took the job a bit over a year ago. I will be giving my notice today. I was able to swing a month's notice though. Hopefully that will soften the blow since this is a small to medium sized MSP and I am the sole network engineer. Best of luck to you sir!
    Thanks higherho & Chipsch. Congrats to you both as well.

It is an interesting trade off, comfortable environment for advanced technology. Unfortunately, our careers don't advance in stagnant positions. I was able to give an extra few days beyond the standard 2 weeks. Trouble is the person I'm replacing at the new place leaves in a month or so. It's all been worked out and I'm looking forward to the new environment. I'm sure they will appreciate you giving a months notice.

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I actually gave four weeks myself, though "only" about 14 business days, due to a vacation immediately in the middle of when the two-week period was. It's always a good practice to give you employer as much notice as you can. Very professional and helpful to the organization.

I think we'll all agree that we can't advance in stagnant positions, and most employers simply don't give that room for advancement in any reasonable time frame, if at all.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The fact that it was difficult to make this decision, despite the obvious better opportunity, speaks volumes to the caliber person and employee you are. You will be an asset to your new employer. Congrats!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Congrats on the new position! a lot of TE members this month finding new gigs.
    Quick update -

I ended up receiving and accepting an offer for a Unix/Linux Admin position. It's with a large fortune 100 company I had a few interviews with, the last of which was 6 hours long including lunch. It's the perfect position for this point in my career, including some int'l travel, a months PTO, decent pay, bonus, and lots of fantastic technology to work with. Needless to say, I'm super excited to get started and very pleased that by making myself marketable (experience & certs) I was able to transition to a large company in a great position.

Thanks again for all the great wishes and good feedback!

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's fantastic news to hear. Congratulations.