Is omitting my irrelevant major on resume iok?

HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
like XXXX College, Bachelor of Science - 2009
I dont want to put my major because its so irrelevant to IT field. or its a red flag for HR?

Comments

• Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    Unless you majored in Womans Studies or something silly like that, I'd include it.
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^agree.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ChickenNuggetzChickenNuggetz Member Posts: 284
    Depending on what it is, I'd put it. I majored in Classics and still listed it on the resume. At the very minimum, they wont care and will just simply care about the fact that you have a bachelors. At the very most, they'll ask you about it, which will give you an opportunity to talk up any points you can think of on how your major gave you skills that could translate to the IT world. For example, with my Classics degree, I talked about how my major taught me logical thinking, problem solving skills, and how to write better.
    :study: Currently Reading: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator and Engineer by Ashgar Ghori

Certifications: CCENT; CCNA: R&S; Security+

Next up: RHCSA
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    What they said. That and I'd say science would translate over to the IT in both future employer's perspective and otherwise. Maybe not subject matter, but no doubt it'd affect the quality of your thinking skills.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You could just list Bachelors of Science, XYZ University.
  • JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have a degree in Culindary Arts that I leave on there for the heck of it... It has come up on conversation and interviews at times but has been fairly positive overall.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I like N2IT's response.

However, do you have a second relevant degree? or just the one? If just one, go with N2's idea. If you have two, I don't see the harm in leaving off the relevant one, it's just like leaving off the non-relevant certs.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just list it. They're going to ask anyway, and it will be clear at that point that you were embarrassed or otherwise reluctant to show it.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Go ahead and list it. There are 4 managers on the team I work on and here is what they majored in college: philosophy, anthropology, global studies, and electrical engineering. Three of the four doesn't yell I.T. to me, however, they are making fat cash at a fortune 500 company doing I.T. work
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Even EE really has almost nothing to do with IT infrastructure. Most of my co-workers don't have IT degrees and some don't have any. I still think CS or IT are the most appropriate things to study, but at the end of the day most employers looking for degrees in candidates are just looking for a degree, and not that many truly care whether it's in CS/EE/IT.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340