Options

Just gave notice...

ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
I just put in notice at my current position, which is a lead systems engineer at a small MSP. It's such a difficult thing to do. I'm leaving some good people and some really enjoyable aspects behind. The stress, constant work, and broad, but shallow exposure to technology along with other reasons described in Are MSP jobs that terrible? led me to seek employment elsewhere. I was also fairly salary limited.

I'm moving into a ~$500M company based here in the Twin Cities as a Senior Systems Engineer. It will be much more project work, and one of the reasons I was hired was actually my interest in getting deeper into security. The team lead and I hit it off in our interviews and we're both very excited for me to start. It was a tough decision, but I think it's the right career move and the best move for my general happiness. My commute gets cut in half and I get ~25% raise, which is pretty enormous at this point, so I'm very excited.
Working B.S., Computer Science
Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
In progress: CLEP US GOV,
Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    PT now that is something to celebrate! Well done!
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    I just put in notice at my current position, which is a lead systems engineer at a small MSP. It's such a difficult thing to do. I'm leaving some good people and some really enjoyable aspects behind. The stress, constant work, and broad, but shallow exposure to technology along with other reasons described in Are MSP jobs that terrible? led me to seek employment elsewhere. I was also fairly salary limited.

I'm moving into a ~$500M company based here in the Twin Cities as a Senior Systems Engineer. It will be much more project work, and one of the reasons I was hired was actually my interest in getting deeper into security. The team lead and I hit it off in our interviews and we're both very excited for me to start. It was a tough decision, but I think it's the right career move and the best move for my general happiness. My commute gets cut in half and I get ~25% raise, which is pretty enormous at this point, so I'm very excited.

congrats. well wishes for the new gig!
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks, gentlemen! Something I want to mention about the new company is that there is corporate mentality of, wait for it, treating people like adults. While there is vacation time and there are general expectations of what hours I'll work, they're highly flexible and there is no sick time. When you're sick, you take paid leave. Now if you're out for more than a week(ish) you would need to go on short-term disability (provided automatically at employer cost), but otherwise you're generally trusted to get your work done. Same thing applies to doctor, dentist appointments, etc. -- let the manager know and it's no big deal. PTO is strictly for vacations, not for flexibility and for being sick. I think it's a great approach, and I'm definitely excited about the corporate culture in general.

It's not quite the level of giving "unlimited" vacation time that some organizations have adopted, but it's in the same vein, anyway, and seems a bit more practical, to me. It is partially a support job so there is a general need to have engineers available 8-5.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the upgrade!
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Funny, I gave notice today as well. Congrats on the new gig. Sounds like a really good move for you.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats. Sounds similar to what I have going on at my current place.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the new position!
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    Good for you! Congrats on the new position, the benefits sound pretty nice also.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Sounds like you made the right choice. Good luck at the new employment.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Congratz and best of luck!
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats sir, I hope it works out well for you!
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man! best of luck.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thats great! Good luck dude!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    4th of July and giving notice...nothing more American! Congrats and good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations on the new position!!!
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Congrats! I understand your feelings, I'm going through the same thing atm!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on the new position! Definitely sounds like a step in the right direction, good luck to you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Very nice! Congrats!
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    Good move:) I've came to the conclusion that internal in a big corporation, sister company of one, University, or government work is the only way to go. Private, 50-100 person companies are a terrible deal and under 50.. don't even get me started... better off finding another career than staying in those. Sounds like you moved from having a job to officially having a career now.