Options

Linking two PC for XP user rights lab

I set up two PCs last night both with XP pro on them to practice user policys ect....

I created PC1 and PC2 accounts on both PCs so they would see and let each other share files. all accounts are Admin and PC1 can access all the root directory of PC2 but when i try to get PC2 to access PC1 it comes up with a login screen with the computername/guest greyed out and i cant get access...

I checked the root drive of PC1 too see if it is shared and it is, and made sure i set up the account for PC2 to access PC1 same login and password ect...

what am i doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    s73v3n2ks73v3n2k Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    do you have simple file sharing enabled ?

do you have the guest group added to the share permissions ? check both PC1 and PC2

if not what groups do you have added to the list?
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    do you have simple file sharing enabled ?

Yup on both computers, but on the one im having problems accessing it first asked me if i was sure i wanted to share the directory - clicked yes - then the screen i got was alot different than the one on the other computer, it had two options asking me to drag the folder to the share directory, i checked to make sure simple file sharing was unticked.
    do you have the guest group added to the share permissions ? check both PC1 and PC2
    This is where i check in the route - properties - sharing correct? then on permitions make sure the guest group is there?
    if not what groups do you have added to the list?
    Ill check this when i get home lol, but i think it will all relate to Question 1 i think as i never got the screen to pick or add users/groups to view the directory.
  • Options
    s73v3n2ks73v3n2k Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If i were you i would turn simple file sharing off on both computers. The reason i say this is it will create two tabs in the folders properties which are:

sharing - relates to share permissions

security - relates to NTFS permissions

You will learn more from using sharing this way to be honest.

Under the sharing tab it should be a case of just enabling sharing. This adds the everyone group by default with read share permissions. Then under the security add relevant users and groups and give them permissions. Be carefull which users you delete or deny access to because you don't want to lock yourself out. You should have the Users group in there with read execute. don't delete any system groups or users (usually the names are all in uppercase).

Try not to share your drives at the root - create a folder inside the drive and share that instead.

Remember

-Deny overides allow
    -File permissions overide folder permission
    -By defualt folders inherit permissions from the folders they are contained within.

-You can create users and groups using the local users and groups MMC snap-in - start > run > type lusrmgr.msc

-Your accounts need passwords - must be an authenticated user

I also have a tutorial on my website HERE

also check out the technote on this site.

I hope this all helps icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    3000GT3000GT Member Posts: 212
    dude your site is great!, ill have a read of it when i get home, hate being at work on a 98 machine grrr! cant practice anything icon_sad.gif