Carnegie Mellon - MSIT in InfoSec and Assurance

the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
Is anybody on this site currently enrolled (or previously enrolled) in this program? I know that Carnegie's B&M school is extremely selective, but I can't find any stats specific to its online programs.

I'm trying to decide if I will be competitive if I apply:
- ASIS from Community College of the Air Force
- BSIS with 3.98 GPA from Kaplan University (a for-profit online school)
- And my certifications to the left

Haven't taken the GRE yet...any idea of the range of GRE scores that is competitive for Carnegie's online IT programs?

Comments

• pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your credentials should be fine. However, alot of masters programs will take into account your experience as well. MSIT Class Profile

This shows the demographics of their students to give you an idea of their scores. It cant hurt to apply. Give it a shot!
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been looking into the program myself, and it seems like work experience is nearly as big a factor as grades and education. It's a true professional Master's program. They are looking to provide the most highly qualified candidates for high-level IT/IT management/IT Security positions.

It definitely looks like an awesome program, and I'm all but set on going for it when I finish my Bachelor's in ~3 years.

I don't think the Kaplan degree is going to be a show-stopper for you, by the way. An extremely high GPA combined with lots of work experience and certifications make you a very attractive candidate for the degree, IMHO. Although CMU probably has fairly high standards, I think you'll be fine.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    It looks like the part time MSIT program at CM is surprisingly forgiving when it comes to entrance requirements, it has an 80% acceptance rate. I'd say being considered will be largely dependent upon your GMAT score though.
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Pinky, thanks for pointing that out...don't know how I missed that when checking out the site. But that should be very helpful in gauging what I should be making on my practice GREs before I go in for the real thing.

Ptilsen, I hope you're right about the for-profit university not killing me too much. I'm not sure how much of my career they will consider relevant work experience. Granted I've been doing IT for almost 6 years, but most of that was helpdesk work. I'll only have about a year of real security work behind me (Network Vulnerability Analyst) when I submit my application. If they are willing to consider basic IT work as relevant experience, then I think I should be good.

Pram...where did you see that the program has an 80% acceptance rate?
  • prampram Member Posts: 171
    US News school rankings

vdUNP.png
  • phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    Do you think it'd be possible to get accepted with a WGU BSIT degree?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Without a doubt. Work experience, GPA, and GMAT scores with be the primary factors (in reverse order). WGU, as a regionally accredited school, will certainly be accepted.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Hutch - are you dead set on taking the GRE? I'm looking in to the CMU MSIT program as well... and would like to apply in the spring so I can (hopefully) start next fall. The problem I have is whether to take the GRE or GMAT...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    Yeah, I am. I don't think I need to take the GMAT to be competitive, and comparitively speaking (at least from what I've heard), its quite a bit harder than the GRE. I don't really see it being worh my investment to do the GMAT.
  • dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Interesting - I've heard that the GMAT was easier than the GRE... Have you found any good study materials for the GRE?
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    GRE vs GMAT really depends on where your strengths lie. Are you better at English based tests? Analogies? GRE. More analytical? GMAT. Ultimately a decent score should be all that you need to get in as they will look at the whole person. A lot of schools really only take it into account when you have a low GPA.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    This program is one of the best (or arguably THE best) in the world, but very expensive. It's also difficult, so you need to work hard. IMHO, if you're going with this program, GRE/GMAT should be the last thing you worry about
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE