Advice

skocosskocos Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I know I've seen one or more of these posted, but I'm curious how different this test is from the MTA-Networking fundamentals. I just took it yesterday and passed by a reasonable margin and scheduled the net+ for the 23rd. I know already I'm weak on wireless and will have to look into that but I'm just curious to know how different it is from those that took both. I appreciate any input.

Comments

• paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I would say that the level of MTA:N is far-far lower than Comptia's. I took NET+ before the MTA and my jaw honestly hit the floor. Its basically like this from my observation:
    MTA:N = High School Final
    NET+= Clep Exam

You might do fine on Net+ I'm not really sure how much you studied though. I think its safe to say that if you pass Comptia's N+ you can pass MTA:N I'm not sure if that really works the otherway around though.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • skocosskocos Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah that's what I hear. They throw a lot of freebies at you in the MTA. I know I got the wireless questions wrong and was going to look at it anyways. I'm well versed on the OSI model, the really important ports, protocols, and hardware. I studied a lot I did a big paper for school on most of it anyways 2 months ago. I know I need work on wire and wireless standards and all the 802.?s. I also realized I signed up for N005 rather than 004. I'm new to ComTIA's stuff so I don't know how big of a deal that is and if it's big enough I should cancel the one I have and do it that way.
  • paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I hear 05 focuses more on Wireless tech than 04 did. So you'll definitly need to brush up on that info. Other than that I don't think 04 and 05 are all that much differnt. Personally I took the 04 cause the vouchers were cheaper as they were expiring soon. *shakes fist* I really wish work would reimbuse me for these things.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
    lol Yeah. After my post I went and cancelled 5 and picked 4. As for wireless I already planned on beating myself over the head with it a lot the next few weeks.
  • matt333matt333 Member Posts: 276 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you do well. it not to hard of a exam icon_thumright.gif
    Studying: Automating Everything, network API's, Python etc.. 
    Certifications: CCNP, CCDP, JNCIP-DC, JNCIS-DevOps, JNCIS-ENT, JNCIS-SP
    Thanks! I'm sure I will too. I took those 2 tests the same day and focused most of my attention on the security one due to needing it badly. With that I still managed fine I'm sure just focusing on one shouldn't be terrible. One of my instructors actually wrote the Security MTA for this year.
    On another note. Any recommendations on books?
  • HectorPHectorP Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I recently passed the 05 version. You do need a firmer grasp on wireless for this version. I did better than I originally thought. I used a Pearson Exam Cram Study guide and then a random other book of practice questions. After the exam I bought study guides for all three parts of the MTA. I have to agree that the MTA is a much lower level. I'm not sure if I'll take the MTA, but I guess it couldn't hurt right? Good Luck!
  • zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    skocos wrote: »

Check out professormesser.com, there are A LOT of great videos on there for FREE. Since you already have a basic understanding, you can probably get by just by watching these videos.
  • teancum144teancum144 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    skocos wrote: »

I read Lammle's and Meyers' books cover-to-cover and liked Meyers' book better. Lammle's chapters on Subnetting and Ethernet are better than Meyers though. I just passed the N10-004 exam on Friday (880/900).
    If you like my comments or questions, you can show appreciation by clicking on the reputation badge/star icon near the lower left of my post. :D
    Thanks man I'll get on those videos :p As for Hector, I guess I haven't looked into practice exam books but I will this week that's also a good idea. It'll offer a bigger pool of questions than websites can I'm guessing. Teancum, I just ordered Lammle's book on Friday. Nice job on the score too!
  • singh79singh79 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI--I have done my certs A+,Net+,Sec+and ITIL v3 foundation---looking for an entry level job---Any suggesions plz....