Options

how do you know when your mentally fatigued and frustrated?

just looking for some advice.. So this whole year of 2012. My boss has asked me to step it up because he says "he can promote me at any time. I just have to show him Im ready for a promotion." SO he's asked me to get network+ and possibly a microsoft cert like 70-642 and also finish up my bachelor's degree. Ok so because of this great website I was able to find out about WGU enrolled and even decided to take some of the MTAs ahead of time just to move things along a bit and also show my bosses that i am fundamentally sound technically.. Im even planning to take another cert tomorrow. On top of that I took win 2008 virtualization course.

So june 6th was my 7 year anniversary at my company. I got a glowing evaluation about how I come a long way and Ive grown so much technically and that he loves I've gotten some more certifications and have gone back to school. but I'm like and???? No promotion, no raise, and no title change. Im like huh? So I've put my resume out there and really haven't gotten any hits except a few contract positions.. Ive been studying for CCNA and security+ ever since I got my network+ but Im not going to lie I'm beat and a bit discouraged right now. Im not sure what i should do ..
WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.

Comments

• Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should at least wait until you have either completed or made serious headway into your Bachelor's degree program at WGU.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    alxxalxx Member Posts: 755
    Did you talk to your boss about your expectations ? i.e Thanks for the glowing endorsement but a few more dollars or pay grade up or more responsibility or a training course or ... would be nice.
    Or I'm doing this study so I can earn more or move into this type of position and I expect to finish in or at ..... and I'd prefer to stay here and increased responsibility and increased income would allow me to.

I'd stay with the same job until after you finished the bachelors and the certs or at least all the basic to intermediate certs.

Otherwise the learning curve at a new job will get in the way of your studies and the fact that you are still studying might scare off potential employers as you'll be distracted / focusing on finishing the studies rather than completely focus on work.

Good luck.
    I'm starting a fulltime position tomorrow (started part time in April). R&D Engineering position
    Have to wait 3 weeks to find out my results (last two engineering subjects).
    Goals CCNA by dec 2013, CCNP by end of 2014
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    i think a person deserves a raise every 2 years if he is good regardless if he doesnt have certs, certs should be a bonus check or reimbursement
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    To me it sounds like he's just waiting on you to finish these things up. Often times it's hard for a manager to justify giving an employee a raise without something more concrete such as a degree or certification.

I'd get a few certifications then see if he's willing to make some changes. If not then you'll be in a good position to start looking for work elsewhere.
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Akaricloud wrote: »
    To me it sounds like he's just waiting on you to finish these things up. Often times it's hard for a manager to justify giving an employee a raise without something more concrete such as a degree or certification.

I'd get a few certifications then see if he's willing to make some changes. If not then you'll be in a good position to start looking for work elsewhere.

Ive gotten five since I've been with the company.. 2nd only to him in the whole IT department. I think that's definitely raise worthy.. But honestly after a a degree If it's not a significant jump. Im going to have to look elsewhere.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    I think you should at least wait until you have either completed or made serious headway into your Bachelor's degree program at WGU.

you make a interesting point about this...

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I think its unfair that you didnt get any raise if you passed network +. There should be an incentive.

Take a break if you feel that you're beat. Remember, you're not alone on this journey. A lot people here goes to school, work, have family, and still study for certs.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    How long has it been since you got a raise in those 7 years? Hopefully you have gotten some at all during your time there. Have you spoken up and asked your boss about this?
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I know I am burned out when I am contemplating a month-long coma as an alternative to continuing on with my daily routine. However, I spent four years attending university in the evenings full-time after working a full-time job where I was the IT guy, outside of our ERP system. Some people can push on almost endlessly and others can't. You have to figure out what you want and make a plan... then you execute.

On the other front, I honestly wouldn't stay anywhere if I didn't get a raise on any given year without some serious mitigating circumstances (like 20%+ unemployment and just being glad to still be employed). Have you been doing IT for the entire time you have been at this company? Seven years is a long time to be in IT without doing many of these things... to be honest. Unless you don't have experience with a product, certifications really shouldn't be that difficult, by and large, because you should be competent based on your daily work. For instance, when I did my MCSE on 2000, I had been a programmer and only dabbled in systems and networking... and most of that was with Linux; it took me nine months to complete the seven exams. When I finally decided to update it to 2003, I had four exams to take and I took them within a month. The difference? I had years of experience on 2003 at that point and my previous foundation on 2000 which helped me.

I think some advice from others here is extremely prudent. Get your BS done. Your successes with each requirement should build and give you momentum. You really need this. If you get your BS and you have a decent list of relevant certifications (which you should since you are attending WGU), you should be much more marketable. You will either get the promotion and/or money or you will be able to get it somewhere else.

Best wishes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ gdeusthe3whizkid:
    I can understand where you are coming from but wait to finish your degree. If the company is paying your tuition and exams I would just work on the sheepskin and get your CCNA and Security+.
    Your boss gave you a great review to help motivate you. If you have been there for 7 years and just started to show them what you can do then I think he may be waiting for you at the finish line. If not, you have a degree and some certifications to help you on your way for another position.
    I think you should have some expectations for next year on what he should see from you and how you can improve.
    Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in a different boat and I can tell you my situation really has me thinking twice about what to do, and I just recently came up with a solution for myself.

My job here has hired for 4 IT jobs. Two of which I was qualified for A LOT more than the people who got them.

I have an associates degree in computer information systems and the people who got these technical jobs have a degree in history and psychology. Makes absolutely no sense.

Ive applied to WGU just now and I'm getting set up for that. Going for computer information technology with security.

I was on the verge of quitting everything really but I know I need to push harder. I didn't expect to be put into a network roll off the bat and I know I need to start on the bottom of the pole but I can't even get there.
  • Options
    bigdogz wrote: »
    @ gdeusthe3whizkid:
    I can understand where you are coming from but wait to finish your degree. If the company is paying your tuition and exams I would just work on the sheepskin and get your CCNA and Security+.
    Your boss gave you a great review to help motivate you. If you have been there for 7 years and just started to show them what you can do then I think he may be waiting for you at the finish line. If not, you have a degree and some certifications to help you on your way for another position.
    I think you should have some expectations for next year on what he should see from you and how you can improve.
    Good Luck!!!

Im paying for certs, books and WGU out my own pocket. I do get reimbursed on certain tests if I passed them. I.e. comptia, microsoft certs.

• Options
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I'm in a different boat and I can tell you my situation really has me thinking twice about what to do, and I just recently came up with a solution for myself.

My job here has hired for 4 IT jobs. Two of which I was qualified for A LOT more than the people who got them.

I have an associates degree in computer information systems and the people who got these technical jobs have a degree in history and psychology. Makes absolutely no sense.

Ive applied to WGU just now and I'm getting set up for that. Going for computer information technology with security.

I was on the verge of quitting everything really but I know I need to push harder. I didn't expect to be put into a network roll off the bat and I know I need to start on the bottom of the pole but I can't even get there.

Just curious.. are you in IT presently?

• Options
    I'm not in IT at all.

I worked at circuit city for a year as a bench technician and I currently work at staples part time as an easy tech.

I get promising reviews and interviews here and nothing happens. In a different boat but frustrating nonetheless
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    just looking for some advice.. Im not sure what i should do ..

Maybe just take a step back from the studying for a bit. Especially if you haven't actually started WGU yet. Start WGU with a fresh mind and eagerness and go full speed.

If there's something you've been wanting to do unrelated to IT, go do it. Personally, I find at times when I've been really working hard on my studies I just want to not look at it anymore. I might feel the desire to play a game. What I have found (this works excellent for myself, others might not condone it) is I don't deny myself if I'm in the mood to do something other than my studies. During those times, I actually find myself switching back to my studies rather quickly with a new found eagerness. Rather than sitting there thinking "Man, I really just want to do ....".

That might have been a little off-topic for exactly what you are inquiring about. But, I think it pertains to it. Having a happy balance between it all is the goal.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I'm not in IT at all.

I worked at circuit city for a year as a bench technician and I currently work at staples part time as an easy tech.

I get promising reviews and interviews here and nothing happens. In a different boat but frustrating nonetheless

any certs? you should look to get a+ and do some contracts until your able to land a full time IT gig. Those contracts really help..

• Options
    kgb wrote: »
    Maybe just take a step back from the studying for a bit. Especially if you haven't actually started WGU yet. Start WGU with a fresh mind and eagerness and go full speed.

If there's something you've been wanting to do unrelated to IT, go do it. Personally, I find at times when I've been really working hard on my studies I just want to not look at it anymore. I might feel the desire to play a game. What I have found (this works excellent for myself, others might not condone it) is I don't deny myself if I'm in the mood to do something other than my studies. During those times, I actually find myself switching back to my studies rather quickly with a new found eagerness. Rather than sitting there thinking "Man, I really just want to do ....".

That might have been a little off-topic for exactly what you are inquiring about. But, I think it pertains to it. Having a happy balance between it all is the goal.

I think your right. I may need a vacation or something or maybe i should hit up my local best buy and pick up a copy of Max Payne 3. That looks entertaining..

• Options
    Get it. I've heard nothing but goodness about it.

No certs for me at the moment. Just Novell.

Cant afford contract jobs unless I can do them on the side due to my full time job now. I was very uninformed regarding schools and such. I come from Germany and I never read up on colleges and internships and all that fun stuff, otherwise I would have gone a completely different way and applied to scholarships and all.

Sucks but hey!
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    @ gdeusthe3whizkid:
    I have paid for all of my expenses as well, including exams. This can only make you more determined to prove your value to the company.

I think kgb is right, you may also want to pick up a hobby. It is nice to go to after a bad day.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    My way of telling: if instead of having a devil on one shoulder urging me to strangle someone, and an angel on the other shoulder urging me not to, I have a devil on each shoulder urging me to strangle someone, then I know I'm starting to get a little burned out.

I'm not advocating having them without planning things out a bit, but kids are a great stress reliever. Granted, they can be a source of stress and in of themselves, but even the most brutal day at work is washed away by a few minutes of playing peek-a-boo with my little girl.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi