Options

Can someone explain to me how MS certs work?

Hey guys, after summer I am taking a MS server track at my community college with Active Directory, Server Administrator, and Network Infrastructure. I see that MS is expiring their current server exams in July, 2013. Say I take the AD cert exam in January 2013, what happens when the exam gets phased out in July of that year? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    At first, I thought you were trying to freak me out. I didn't expect this exam to retire until like at least 2014 or 2015 but I was wrong. Although, I don't have any M$ cert yet, but I was planning to obtain one someday. Looks like I would have to wait until next year. Good excuse for me to get the RHCSA now.

It looks like M$ is ready to roll out its new Server 2012 in September 9, 2012. By the way, I did your homework for you, and if you are aiming to finish the MCITP exam before the end of next July then you can go for your MCITP:SA or MCITP:EA then do the upgrade exam to get the new MCSE.

For the MCITP (expiring certs):
    Click here for list of MCITP certifications

For the MCSE (new certs):
    Click here for list of Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert certifications

Please take notice that the MCSE acronym may be spelled the same but it is not the same as the MCSE (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer) certifications from 2003. There are four MCSE certs: Server Infrastructure, Private Cloud, Desktop Infrastructure, and SQL Server 2012

If you want to wait for the new exam and you are starting from scratch, then I would suggest you to wait until the new resources are available. You must become MCSA (Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate) certified before you can become MCSE.

You should click here for to get a good overview of the certs that Microsoft has to offer. Hopes this help!
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Go ahead start off with the 2008 MCITP:SA Track then upgrade later to 2012 with one exam when resources are available. By the time you will have all the material available for 2012 it will be 2013+ so better start now
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    Thanks for the replies guys, that was a lot of good info hiddenknight, I appreciate that.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    By the time you will have all the material available for 2012 it will be 2013+ so better start now

Then 2014 when they release the corrected version of the training material.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Yup that too icon_lol.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]