Options

CBT Nuggets Series

frobro989frobro989 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are your thoughts and experiences with using these videos as study tools?

Do any of you prefer the videos to reading books?

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Absolutely, love them icon_cheers.gif I prefer to watch the whole series then go through each video topic-wise and then study the MCTS Study Guide. After that some labbing and practice exams which help me figure out where I am lacking. After identifying those areas work on those from the net (Technet/Forums etc) or Windows 2008 R2 Unleashed.

No way by itself these videos will be enough to clear the exam.

Worked for me so far...
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    They are awesome. CBT and TrainSignal, I usually try to combine the two. My method is is watch the videos, then read the books. The videos help give an interesting overview and medium knowledge and then the books get down to the nitty gritty. It also helps watching the videos first because you have a general knowledge of the subject and understand easier what the book is talking about.
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used both while studying for my CCNA.

VTC.com is another very good CCNA video.
  • Options
    crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    I love them icon_lol.gif

Always use video training (if available, for less popular certs often not available) and study guide. I watch them on my iPad.
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll be honest. They are hit or miss. The CBT Nuggets for ITIL-F are awesome. The CBT Nuggets for CISSP are not. Thankfully, I chose to use Shon Harris's book as my primary study aid.

Overall, I still prefer reading books.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    Not a fan of the Cisco Nuggets. Can't really say anything about the others cause I haven't used them.
  • Options
    DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Outstanding, for my style of learning they are perfect. It depends on how your brain is wired, if you are a visual learner they are a great tool.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i really like CBTs.. i also read tho... i do both...
    CBT nuggets is a great tool.
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Thank god these videos exist! So much better than alot of "real" teachers. I like being able to watch them anytime I want to, and on the train to work. My method is to watch the cbt for an introduction, then the trainsignal for more indepth. Also the INE series is very good.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    frobro989 wrote: »
    What are your thoughts and experiences with using these videos as study tools?

Do any of you prefer the videos to reading books?

Any video series should be supplement to a good book, not a replacement.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    I normally will read the book chapter by chapter. At the end of each chapter ill watch the video for it to get it really stuck in my mind
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Ive seen the A+, N+ and CCNA videos for CBT Nuggets and I think all of those were great series.
    Specially the CCNA one.

But they in no way replace the book.
    meh
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Supplement only. And I think they reiterate that, don't quote me lol
    I would definitely use TechExams.net as a resource, google.com, and find some good books in ADDITION to any CBT.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cbt nuggets series can vary. I seen the ccna with jeremy he's just so enthused and keeps you excited to learn. I also seen the exchange videos fell asleep half through. I mean it really comes down to what teacher and if his methods are good enough for you to grasp. CBt nuggets is nuggets of information while trainsignal gives 2 hours a video which i personally cant sit through. I'm pretty sure theres a demo for each video so try it out and see if you like it.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree about Jeremy on the CISCO stuff. I also really like anything that James Conrad creates for nuggets. When I did my 680 Win 7 exam, I ONLY used the Nuggets (I don't recommend it)

I usually start studying for something by watching the Nuggets. Once completed, I then dig into the book. Nuggets are great to get you the basics of what you are studying & the book digs in deeper. I think they're MUCH better value than a course at a community college. You watch them when you're ready (not tired, etc) and you can attend 'class' anytime. They also work great on the iPad on the bus.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    antielvis wrote: »
    I agree about Jeremy on the CISCO stuff. I also really like anything that James Conrad creates for nuggets. When I did my 680 Win 7 exam, I ONLY used the Nuggets (I don't recommend it)

I usually start studying for something by watching the Nuggets. Once completed, I then dig into the book. Nuggets are great to get you the basics of what you are studying & the book digs in deeper. I think they're MUCH better value than a course at a community college. You watch them when you're ready (not tired, etc) and you can attend 'class' anytime. They also work great on the iPad on the bus.

I agree completely. I just finished watching the ICND2 Video series and Jeremy helps you stay interested. I saw some one mentioned the James with Windows and you're right about him too. I've use CBT nuggets for most of my Microsoft Certifications, Network+, and Cisco. The A+ i just reviewed a little bit and went in and took both test back to back and passed. Basically i start with the videos, then i read the book, then i re watch the videos and take practice tests whatever i'm lacking on after i go back to the book for.

Personally I use CBT Nuggets whenever i can but where they help the most is, the further your personal knowledge is away from the topic the more they'll help overall. Meaning if you're just starting out in IT and you want to go into networking but have no experience besides running ipconfig in windows then the videos will help you get a more rounded knowledge vs trying to read the Network+/CCENT/CCNA and put the pieces together.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.