Options

disabling passwords

gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
I bought a router off of ebay and was able to recover all the passwords and I was just wondering if there was any way or reseting the router to its defualt settings or a command to disable passwords for when I try to resell the router so someone doesn't have to jump through hoops just to get the router running

Comments

• Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    You can use the commands "erase start" then "reload" and that will erase the startup config. This will take you back to the default setup.
  • Options
    I tried using erase flash command since it is IOS 10.2 and the erase start is not supported. I confirm erase flash device and it says system flash is not writable. Is there a way to give me permission to write to the flash?
  • Options
    I'm not sure about IOS 10.2 but "erase start" is a short version of "erase startup-config". I have IOS 12.x and "erase start" works. Try the full command and see if that works.

Flash is where the IOS is stored. You don't want to erase the flash memory. If you do you wont have an IOS anymore. If your just wanting to get the router back to the "off-the-shelve-" state then erasing the startup-config in NVRAM is all you need to do.

If your still not able to get it search out Cisco and see if you can find your answer.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Well I'm looking at the messages that appear when I first bootup the router and I think I see the problem

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    4096K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

looks like the system flash board is just read ONLY. Is there any way to change this?
  • Options
    gojericho0 wrote:

32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    4096K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY)

looks like the system flash board is just read ONLY. Is there any way to change this?

Not that I know of. But, both of my routers say (Read ONLY) for the flash as well.
  • Options
    johnnynodoughjohnnynodough Member Posts: 634
    Its showing read only because part of the IOS image is decompressing into DRAM. You dont want to clear the flash, you want to clear NVRAM.

Send a break signal as you boot up the router, and use the commend confreg 0x142, then reset, and it wil boot up to factory defaults. Make sure to set it back to 0x102 of else it will be restored to factory defaults each time you power cycle.
    Go Hawks - 7 and 2

2 games againts San Fran coming up, oh yeah baby, why even play? just put then in the win category and call it good :p
  • Options
    thanks guys...i actually got it to work with the command "write erase" since erase running-config was not working. I'll have to rememer the registry config trick too. That sounds like it will come in handy when purchasing off of ebay :D