CISSP CBT Passed, 2nd try

misterXmisterX Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just wanted to thank this forum for providing some free cool links such as Shon Harris free MP3 downloads which I used in addition to other stuff.
I took the paper based test 1 year ago and failed by 24 points, was mentally distracted to be honest.
I have sat through the 2-6 week period waiting and it was killer.
So this year I did another bootcamp with Infosec Institute and used my free 1 year reseat feature :).
I knew what area I had to study up on since I got my weak domains from the test last year.

This CBT test was nothing like any of the practice exam engines, I almost feel like it comes down to being in the industry.
Now I can add this to my 14 other certs once my endorsement is completed.

Took me 4 hours to go through all 250 then breaked and spent 30 mins and went over a few questions at the end, I did however challenge at least 5-7 of them.

You can challenge the questions if you feel so on CBT or paper based.
I know these questions are subject to peer review, but some of them shouldn't have been on there.

Anyway Im done, I will post here more often, 1st post!

Now going to look into computer forensics.

Comments

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Congratulations!
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    welcome to the club!
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!!!
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
    misterX wrote: »
    I know these questions are subject to peer review, but some of them shouldn't have been on there.
    25 of the 250 items on the CISSP exam are "research items" and don't count towards the final score. The items you didn't like were probably in that group.
  • misterXmisterX Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you.
    I did read your story Irish and I would have been so pissed.
    Last year it took them only 17 days to get it back to me.

I used at least 3-4 test engines to get my mind on track this time around and man it helped just a little but the questions were totally different.

I did however see some security flaws in the CBT testing method which I will address once I am a CISSP, such as someone cheating.

No one gets a free cert lol not after all i went through to get mine, at the end of the day, its a foot in the door.
    I will add my cert to my sig I guess, still enjoying that heavy weight off my shoulders.
    The instant results is a double edge sword, I walked out feeling like I failed
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Walked out feeling like you failed, but at least you didnt have to find out in WEEKS, it was only minutes. Congrats on the pass, i hope to join you in a couple months.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There are lots of people who feel that it is indeed impossible to **** while on a CBT. Oh how wrong they are...

Congratulations are certainly in order!

- beads
  • TBRAYSTBRAYS Member Posts: 267
    Thank you.
    I did read your story Irish and I would have been so pissed.
    Last year it took them only 17 days to get it back to me.

I used at least 3-4 test engines to get my mind on track this time around and man it helped just a little but the questions were totally different.

I did however see some security flaws in the CBT testing method which I will address once I am a CISSP, such as someone cheating.

No one gets a free cert lol not after all i went through to get mine, at the end of the day, its a foot in the door.
    I will add my cert to my sig I guess, still enjoying that heavy weight off my shoulders.
    The instant results is a double edge sword, I walked out feeling like I failed

Can you explain the security flaws you observed, because I see that pandora's box is starting to open again.....
    Bachelors of Science in Technical Management - Devry University
    Masters of Information Systems Management with Enterprise Information Security - Walden University
    Masters of Science in Information Assurance - Western Governors University
    Masters of Science Cyber Security/Digital Forensics - University of South Florida
  • vin167vin167 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass!!!
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congratulations on your pass! I sat for PBT June 10 and am 3 weeks 2 days into my waiting period.

Thistleback
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Great accomplishment icon_cheers.gif
  • letstrythis1letstrythis1 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey misterx, do you think taking it CBT vs paper helped your second try? I am scheduled to retake the CISSP (2nd try also) within the next month and was considering changing from paper to CBT (if that's even possible). That way I won't have to wait around for the results.

thanks for your post!
    Thank you everyone.

Security flaws as in I can see a way someone would **** on during a CBT.
    I prefer not to disclose in public right now.

Yes I did consider paying for the PBT vs CBT.
    Also I kept reading on here how much harder it was and scenario based, my class also took it all PBT that sat also, but I sat threw not knowing for 2+ weeks, Not doing that again.
    Also all the CBT were all filled up, I got a lucky break and scheduled it.

I would assume if you cancel they could issue you a voucher for $599 for the CBT on checkout.
    Also CBT is only $20 to reschedule PBT is $100

I hope you all pass, I loved walking out because I know then and there if I can start shifting my career if I wanted to and not 6-8 weeks later after endorsement and all.

I used a few testing engines to get my mind sharp and fast

1 x Ipad Cissp prep 14$
    1 x Droid Cissp jumbo Prep $6
    1 x CCure Cissp $40
    1 x Shon Harris Prep

Test questions were not like these engines, but since I had my results from last year and kept taking assessment test, I focused on my weak points and crammed night before and morning to Test center on my weak areas.

Thank you all, my endorsement should be done by this week hopefully.
  • lcyardballlcyardball Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to thank this forum for providing some free cool links such as Shon Harris free MP3 downloads which I used in addition to other stuff.
    I took the paper based test 1 year ago and failed by 24 points, was mentally distracted to be honest.
    I have sat through the 2-6 week period waiting and it was killer.
    So this year I did another bootcamp with Infosec Institute and used my free 1 year reseat feature :).
    I knew what area I had to study up on since I got my weak domains from the test last year.

This CBT test was nothing like any of the practice exam engines, I almost feel like it comes down to being in the industry.
    Now I can add this to my 14 other certs once my endorsement is completed.

Took me 4 hours to go through all 250 then breaked and spent 30 mins and went over a few questions at the end, I did however challenge at least 5-7 of them.

You can challenge the questions if you feel so on CBT or paper based.

Anyway Im done, I will post here more often, 1st post!

Now going to look into computer forensics.

Congrats misterX, great accomplishment! I sit for the exam later this month. I have done or will do many of the things you mentioned above. I have gone through the cccure.org exam engine, started off in the 65% range, now I am scoring in the 80's, sometimes better sometimes worse. I have an overall average of 73% across, 3000 questions, alot of them are repeats though. It is tricky to gauge how ready I am because there are some gimme questions that I know the answer to because I have seen the question multiple times. That is always a risk I guess. Because of this, I went back to the Shon Harris CD questions, I have been scoring 80+ on those for the most part. The closer I get to the exam, the more doubt I am having simply because I don't know everything in the Shon Harris book, I still have gaps. Not sure if that is normal or not. You would think it would be the opposite, I would get more confident but that isn't the case.

I also noticed that you went to the InfoSec Institute boot camp, I am going to that as well, taking the test on the 7th day. Can you give me your experience with that boot camp? I am really hoping the boot camp will enforce what I already know and fill the gaps on items I don't. They claim a 93% pass rate but I am not buying that. I seem to think, and I have read that all boot camps (not just InfoSec) only calculate the pass rate based on those who reported a pass / fail after the exam, obviously :). If this is the case, people that don't pass usually don't report back, just human nature. I could be wrong but I read that somewhere. Anyway, let me know your experience with InfoSec and let me know if there are ways you would recommend to get the most out of it.
  • lcyardballlcyardball Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Mister, how was the Infosec Institute bootcamp? I am attending it this week and will sit for the exam on 7/23. I have a pretty good base knowledge of the domains and I am hoping they can really drive it home.
    Sorry all, just getting back to all this.

I prefer to sit vs a video learning as there are to many distractions such as cell phones work email etc.

I wouldnt say they have a 93% pass rate, I was sitting there with students who clearly just want the cert but have no idea about alot of the domains.