Options

preparing for 70-640 exam

DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone!

I'm preparing for the 70-640 exam. Below are the resources i have.

VIDEOS:
IT FreeTraining Videos ~done
CBT Nuggets 70-640 ~partially viewed

BOOKS:
MS-Press Configuring Windows Server 2008 R2 ~ icon_study.gif now on chapter 3
Pearson-MCTS 70-640 Cert Guide

i'm planning to take it by Aug/Sept. Any tips/resources/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have the capability to create a test lab, that would be extremely beneficial. I am studying for the 640 and hope to test in 4 weeks. I am following the same track as you except for the Pearson book; I'm not using that one. But I do have a lab set up currently with 2 2008 R2 servers and 4 2008 Server Core on 1 domain, and 2 2008 R2 servers on a second domain.

Good luck!
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lab lab lab. Finish all the coursework, then design your own domain from scratch, add domains to it, set up a CA system, the whole bit.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Agree on that, this is a killer if you are not comfortable with Group Policies. I will also pay a lot of attention to certificate services
    Try and give a few sample exams/mock tests and then see your weak points and review from Windows 2008 R2 Unleashed. In my case, I had to go back to the CbT Nuggets and the Study Guide and then review R2 Unleashed to help me understand
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    DreadJuniorDreadJunior Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Lunchbocks wrote: »
    If you have the capability to create a test lab, that would be extremely beneficial. I am studying for the 640 and hope to test in 4 weeks. I am following the same track as you except for the Pearson book; I'm not using that one. But I do have a lab set up currently with 2 2008 R2 servers and 4 2008 Server Core on 1 domain, and 2 2008 R2 servers on a second domain.

Good luck!

I do have a lab setup currently 1 win2k8r2 server and 1 win2k8server core for one domain. i'll add more as i go through this Windows 2008 R2 book. Good Luck on your exam too! :)

Lab lab lab. Finish all the coursework, then design your own domain from scratch, add domains to it, set up a CA system, the whole bit.

i'm planning on that one too. i still have long way to go regarding CA stuff and etc. but that's one of the things i'll focus on this exam.

pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Agree on that, this is a killer if you are not comfortable with Group Policies. I will also pay a lot of attention to certificate services
    Try and give a few sample exams/mock tests and then see your weak points and review from Windows 2008 R2 Unleashed. In my case, I had to go back to the CbT Nuggets and the Study Guide and then review R2 Unleashed to help me understand

Thanks for your advice, i'll add that one (Win 2008R2 unleashed) on my reference.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Make sure you're familiar with the various cmdlets and command-line commands. Know the common options, don't stress too much over memorizing all of the options.