petedude wrote: »
    Bet it's 2.3mil retail, 230K used on eBay. :D

Exactly what I was thinking.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    RESPECT! Nice setup!

Makes me want to buy my first rack even more! ;)
    2017 Goals:
    [ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    @uber_Geek. Defnite Inspiration... I was inspired by the regular users here for a lab set up. I don't think the wife would allow me though.. She wants to buy a house first before I can spend anymore money on anything.

Do you happen to have any updated photos? Possibly with a wide shot of the room?

Cheers
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 896 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Those pictures are 6 years old. I'm sure he's completed whatever home improvement projects but that doesn't have anything to do with his awesome home lab and his certifications. :)
    Good point, Iristheangel. There are some hatahs in here. He can have the same lab, drop silly string, cover it in spider webs, have a lightning rod and a picture with a middle finger to anyone jugging a quadruple CCIE, double JCIE, respected instructor and networking veteran who has absolutely nothing to prove. Thanks for the encouragement, Scott. And it would be nice to see updated pics (it's okay if there is messy cabling). With your internet, you're probably CRS-3 and have a Nexus 7000 in there, lol.
  • Uber-GeekUber-Geek Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bigdogz wrote: »
    @Uber-Geek: It really is an impressive lab, not to mention your credentials. I can see where the cabling would not be as clean because of constant changes. I just wonder how you pay the electric bill or do you use solar panels to generate some juice?

As being part cable monkey I can see where he uses the telecom/AT&T standards from the 70's in the pics provided by Iris. I think most people should understand those are still used as opposed to zip ties where one or both ends of a zip tie could potentially cut or splice a another cable while it is in the process of being run. Heck, I do it myself from time to time. IMHO I just would use Velcro where the cable management is located. I don't want to make the opportunity for me to use my sausage fingers to cut into another cable.

They have gloves to help with the sausaging part. :)

But fortunately for me, I live in one of least expensive electrical utility areas in the country. If I lived someplace like California, this lab would not be happening! :) But probably 2/3 of it is powered on at any point. Although I do have a lot of the APC MasterSwitches for remote power control as well.
  • Uber-GeekUber-Geek Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I keep telling myself to update the photos, but never seem to think about it when I'm actually home! One of these days!

No Nexus or CRS though... Those take up a little more space per unit than I'm really interested in! Besides, I have customers with those that I get to play with! (Well, ok, "work on" I suppose would be the better word choice!)

The floor in that room is coated. But it's a room unto itself. It wouldn't really add any value to finish it off. Would actually worsen the acoustics by creating consistent, flat surfaces! So I'm good with it that way. The rest of the basement is finished. :)

Scott
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice work Mr Morris.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just looking at the cable management made me so relaxed. Looking at the lab gave me a better appreciation of how much I know, and how much more I don't.
    Now I'll just look forward to the INE CCIE series when I'm ready to start down that road.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That last four images at this link: Better Cable Management!

Could someone tell me what that is called? It says Cross Connect MDF above one of the images but I want to be sure. I see we have this at my workplace too and it looks like they take a lot of time to set up... So many tiny wires!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    That last four images at this link: Better Cable Management!

Could someone tell me what that is called? It says Cross Connect MDF above one of the images but I want to be sure. I see we have this at my workplace too and it looks like they take a lot of time to set up... So many tiny wires!

Normally his tag means the Main Distribution Frame which is generally the cross connection with the telcom central office equipment and the outside world. At least that has been my understanding and the last pictures seem to be the phone system.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO