My favorite thing so far about working in the IT field...

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
So far working in the IT field has yielded a ton of perks..having my own desk, freedom from mundane tasks, being able to dress nice for once instead of wearing a ridiculous uniform...but the best thing so far about working in the It field are the people! I have never really had a hard time relating to people or holding a conversation with them but I have ALWAYS held back on how I really feel because I can get a bit... philosophical... I have always held very strong opinions about certain topics but felt the need to "tone it down a bit" because, from my experience, people just don't respond well to ideas that actually make them think. I know it sounds pompous but it's the truth.

I realized today while I was on lunch with some colleagues that there are people out there like me. oddly enough this realization came from the topic of genetically modified corn..lol, an argument ensued as to whether modified corn was simply sped up evolution or human engineering. Now I'm the new guy on the job so the people having this discussion found themselves apologizing to me (as I would..lol) about how "in to" their conversations that they can get..and then it hit me..this is where I belong! I have been yearning for not just conversations similar to the one mentioned, but people who can provide a decent argument and actually keep me on my toes. The thought of spending the rest of my career around people who I had previously thought simply didn't exist is by far my favorite part about working in this field...I am loving my life right now!
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ha - Yeah, a certain type of person does tend to work in this field. I was just listening to a show on corn today on NPR...very interesting actually.
  • wigerwiger Banned Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    but however nice to work in It field but there is always situation of do or die in this field
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's great to find a niche where one belongs. I have always found IT people who are successful to be passionate about their craft. And treat it as part of their lifestyle. The minset just flows into other areas. Glad you are enjoying your coworkers.
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    It does feel good to be around like minded people. I left IT for a brief period sort of (had a hybrid role), however.. when I came back I felt at one with myself. It just feels like home, doesn't it? :)
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I agree, it is awesome to work around other intellectuals. One of the reasons why I'd like to move to one of two big name tech companies around my area is because of the quality of the talent that they attract.
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    awesome! im glad you feel right at home at your job!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's few places I'd rather be than to be surrounded by those that truly love and are passionate about the work they do. It makes the long weekends much less long, troubleshooting much less painful, and writing code much more fun.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
    IT is the only field I've worked in where there's a 90% chance that if I tell an obscure Star Trek joke, someone will get it :)
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    There's few places I'd rather be than to be surrounded by those that truly love and are passionate about the work they do. It makes the long weekends much less long, troubleshooting much less painful, and writing code much more fun.

This makes for a much more positive work place...
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I hear you there, besides the movie theater, IT people are the only ones who know exactly what movie the line I just said came from. Pretty sad when you have full on conversations from Spaceballs lines...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff