Options

70-648

liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just about to start studying for the 70-648, and was wondering whats the best study path.
I've picked up the CBT Nuggets, The Syngress and MS Press books as well as building a couple of VM's

But, looking at the MS site, I see the exam covers R2. Does this mean it is entirely R2 or will it be a mix of R2 and none R2 questions? Also anyone know any good articles or books that will cover R2's new features?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    The exam covers R2 in depth so please ensure that your study material is R2 updated
    MCTS Study Guide 2nd Edition has R2 Updated
    CBT Nuggets R2 Updates available
    Windows 2008 R2 Unleashed
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    MeatMeat Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMO opinion its simpler to take them seperately. I used the MS press book for 70-648 and it was so dry and boring I gave up 3 times. Finally I just studied them seperately and I passed 70-642 the other day.

Tommorow Im taking 70-640. Im so glad I split them up. Its alot of material but when broken down its manageable. 70-640 is mostly active directory and if you have an MCSA you will know about 70% of the material already. You just have to know/learn new material ADCS, ADFS, ADRMS, etc.

Taking them together its just too broad a topic and by time you finish studying at the end you will forget what you studied in the beginning. Atleast that was my problem.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    Personally I found the 648 upgrade exam ok.

Some dual exams work for some and not others, depends on the luck of the draw with the questions.

(on the other hand I'm having the opposite problem with the 70-682 upgrade exam, I'm going to do those separately as I have not reached a passing score on that one icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    tfernandestfernandes Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

i am preferring to take 70-648 as it costs 150 $ or else if i take 70-640 & 70-642 it will cost me a total of 300$ (150 X 2)

what do you say?

Thaddeus
  • Options
    luckyneoluckyneo Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Liddane

I recently completed my MCSE (I know its old but its a long story) anyway whilst im in the mood for studying I thought I might as well carry on I was going to go down the MCITP EA route but given its being retired next year I am not going to bother now I am am just going to do the MCITP / MCSA 2008.

I am going to do the 70-648 as it is cheaper and therefore easier to get work to pay for it. Plus it saves doing one exam although I am begining to relaise that although you dont have to sit two exams, ineffect you do you just do them at the same time that means there is a lot of material to cover.

Having said that given that a lot of the material is still fresh in my mind it is really just a case of catching up on the the stuff avaliable in 2008 R2. I have worked with 2003R2 for a fair while and there is cross over from that, so if you know that well then it will also cut down on what you need to cover to pass the exam. I have started to go through the 70-640 CBT nugget pack and a lot of it remains the same as 2003 things around active directory, groups, users, accounts etc. I havent looked at 70-642 yet but hope to next week. I have build a virtual lab in vmware and have been practicing along with CBT nuggets and the MS press book for the 70-648/70-649 exam.

Good luck whichever route you go down I am looking to sit the exam in the next couple of weeks but whenever I set myself a date I always miss it. I will try and update if I manage to get the exam done

Luckyneo