Options

Need help with certification path

uunrlg_143uunrlg_143 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I need some advice on how to proceed. I work as a technical Support agent. so i have some basic understand of computers. I was planning to get into the networking field but i don not have any prior networking knowledge. My friends suggested me to start reading CCNA. I did start after a couple of lessons i feel like I am lost.

I did a few research abt any pre-requestie for CCNA and i came to know that finish Comptia A+ sucessfully will help me understand CCNA (IS IT TRUE!!!!)

If i decide to do A+ again there are some subdivisions. like A+ Essentials , Network and other. So i need some advice on where to start my networking journey. It know it is a vast ocean but it has to be started some where and i an not sure abt the starting point.

If some one can advice me on where to start and the path to proceed will be of great help !!!

Thanks
Sam !!!

Comments

• Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Studying and completing A+ will not help studying for CCNA. Based on what you said, I recommend you start at CompTIA Network+ for fundamentals. Then you should move on to CCENT or CCNA.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    Scott10214Scott10214 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Concerned Water .
    I currently hold A+ & Network+ and have completed the CCNA course and Graduated from the program and are studying for the CCENT and I would suggest that If you are truly serious and can afford it enroll in a Cisco program.

Just reading a book my give you the general knowledge to pass a test but not the ability to function in the real world

Good Luck
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @uunrlg_143,

The A+ exam consists of two exams that need to be passed prior to being considered A+ Certified.
    You'd take the 220-701 and the 220-702.

You will find the objectives here once you sign up:
    Exam Objectives

What you KNOW will help you become successful as a professional in IT. However, there are some exams that may help you show your baseline level of knowledge in or within particular areas of IT.

If you are not looking at staying in hardware, you may wish to skip the A+ and look at Net+ as others have noted. You then consider CCNA certificaitons, but only if you wish to work with those technologies.

It may be necessary to build yourself a lab at home to practice. If you have access to the hardware at work or school...even better.

No everyone 'needs' an A+ certificate icon_eek.gif. I know, I know, that doesn't sound the best in the A+ forum. However, you need to consider where you wish to be within the field of IT and from the sound of your post, NET+ may be more suitable for you.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Scott10214 wrote: »
    I agree with Concerned Water .
    I currently hold A+ & Network+ and have completed the CCNA course and Graduated from the program and are studying for the CCENT and I would suggest that If you are truly serious and can afford it enroll in a Cisco program.

Just reading a book my give you the general knowledge to pass a test but not the ability to function in the real world

Good Luck

I disagree. Everyone learns differently and a given study method will return results consistent with the leaner's efforts.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I don't recall anything from A+ helping in my CCNA classes at all.
    N+ is the way to go if you need a stepping stone into CCNA or CCENT.
    I was planning to get into the networking field but i don not have any prior networking knowledge

I can personally say that N+ will help you in that goal.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    @PlantWiz
    I wouldn't say skip A+ but i agree its not the be all certifications every one thinks it is.

I say get you're A+ because the bigger corporations require it. A few years ago i hand about 4 years of experience an a hand full of Microsoft certifications including the MCSA. Then one day Wells Fargo called me offering me a really good job, but when it came down to the little details part they require that all IT staff have their A+ and at the time i didn't so they couldn't give me the job.

My opinion with the A+ is just get it and go from there. For uunrlg_143 i'd recommend A+ > Net+ > CCENT > CCNA then depending what you find in the job market maybe round it out with some Microsoft or other Comptia certs. Unless you fall in love with cisco then continue on with the CCNP
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    DEC901DEC901 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As a Padawan (newbie) as I am in the IT arena I would suggest getting the A+ Essentials/Practical Application as it is the introductory format a newbie is looking for. It's a good stepping stone for those with partial knowledge of the ITverse!!! There is much information that MAY assist you for additional certs. Example, for me having the A+ helped assuage my anxiety about going after the Network+ and Security+. The wealth of information learned in A+ is priceless for a Padawan. In my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @OP
    Like Scott10214 said, you may want to go for Cisco Academy. That's what I did and skipped Network+ and CCENT.

@EV42TMAN
    My job is like that, everyone from entry to senior level has an A+.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    Studying and completing A+ will not help studying for CCNA. Based on what you said, I recommend you start at CompTIA Network+ for fundamentals. Then you should move on to CCENT or CCNA.

+1. I completely agree with Concerned Water.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    goatbullgoatbull Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have 1 year into my Associate in Computer Information Systems and I will like to get my Comptia A+ ceritification, Can someone tell me if the e-traning that Coamptia website advertize good enough for a person like me, with basic computer knowledge and some hands on in the field. what other training source do you guys recommend?