Options

Has anyone ever taken a cert exam on vacation?

I know this sounds a little crazy, but I am considering taking my CCNA while on vacation. I am at a point where I just have a little bit of studying to do for the exam. The problem is is we leave for vacation on the 17th. I feel like taking it before vacation might be a little stressful, but at the same time I don't want to take it after vacation because I will have gone 10 days without studying and would have to start studying again for a couple weeks. I figured that it wouldn't be that bad to take it on day 2 or 3 of my vacation. Anyone ever done this?

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont see why not, especially if you take it on day 2 or 3 of your vacation.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Took INTRO and ICND during my vacation back in the day. Took 5 days vacation after my CNAP semester (CCNA 1 - 2) to prepare for the INTRO exam. After the third semester (CCNA 3 - 4), took another 5 days to prepare for the ICND exam.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I've done it before, Its just one of those things you have to figure out what is best for you. when i did i took a week of paid vacation just to relax at home. i scheduled the test for Monday of that week and when i came back i submitted my vacation time slip with my exam fee reimbursement slip at the same time (i submit both things to the same person where i work)
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    So looks like it can be done. Unfortunately I looked into it a little more and found out there is no test center where we are going icon_sad.gif Good stories though, thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    So you are changing your vacation destination, correct? icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    zrockstar wrote: »
    So looks like it can be done. Unfortunately I looked into it a little more and found out there is no test center where we are going icon_sad.gif Good stories though, thanks for sharing!

That stinks! If you're driving, you can always try to find a test center en route to your destination :)
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    So you are changing your vacation destination, correct? icon_smile.gif
    "Honey, screw Aruba we're going to El Paso!"
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LOL

I would take a personal day to take an exam, but never let it cut into my "vacation".
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2: Could you imagine failing an exam during a vacation?? My head wouldn't be right for days and the vaca would be ruined!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought of doing this back when I had to retake my CISSP exam and it was not offered anywhere in Michigan for a while. So my wife always wanted to go to the Mall of America and I found a test date out there so we planned a trip out there around it.

I was stressing so much about the test before it I ended up cancelling the test because I was not going to have fun during the week off.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do that yearly. I use the week to study, get a ton of great sleep, then write the exam on the Friday. Assuming I pass, I have the weekend to relax & then prepare for my next exam.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @YFZ

Exactly, it would just dwell in your mind the whole time. You would be bitchy to everyone and probably try to study while your family goes scuba diving in Aruba while you are drinking mix drinks venting and reading ICND 2 information.

Certs aren't that important lol

@tpatt

Spoken like a true vet. Pass on the certification and go have fun.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I'm out-of-town on vacation, I might study, but I wouldn't take the exam. When I'm not out-of-town, absolutely. I've taken PTO just to study for and take exams. In hindsight, I regret doing that as much as I did, but ultimately it's what I wanted to accomplish and it was my time to use.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    Bad idea. Tell your employer you've been studying to enhance your skills in the workplace and ask for time off. If you forget the material in 2 weeks then you didn't know it well enough to begin with
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Most of my PTO is taken up with family obligations and what not. I don't think I would be willing to trade my actual vacation time (little as it is) to go through the stress and tension of sitting an exam. Either take a book and read it on the trip or cram and take the exam before you leave.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    If you fail the exam, the rest of your vacation would suck from depression...Wait and take the exam, when you return home.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I am allowed to leave from work and take my tests. I would never in a million years take it on vacation. I have a hard time convincing myself they are important as it is. If I was given a free voucher and it wasn't a test crucial to my career, sure, maybe. Anything else you can forget about.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    zrockstar wrote: »
    I know this sounds a little crazy, but I am considering taking my CCNA while on vacation. I am at a point where I just have a little bit of studying to do for the exam. The problem is is we leave for vacation on the 17th. I feel like taking it before vacation might be a little stressful, but at the same time I don't want to take it after vacation because I will have gone 10 days without studying and would have to start studying again for a couple weeks. I figured that it wouldn't be that bad to take it on day 2 or 3 of my vacation. Anyone ever done this?

Yes, ok not the CCNA (Cisco certs don't interest me) but other certs :)
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    That's not what a vacation is for. It will all be there when you get back.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    My employer most likely will let me take relevant exams on company time, but I would take time off the day before so I could unwind and cram.. then take the exam the next morning.
  • Options
    kremitkremit Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vacation = free time to do other responsibilities. I don't know how it is with other people, but that is how my life is. Whether it's taking a kid to the doctor, taking an exam, or taking myself to the doctor for that matter, that is what my "vacation" is all about.
    Pending:
    640-816; ITIL 2011
    2013:
    Sharepoint, ITIL, CCNA
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    kremit wrote: »
    Vacation = free time to do other responsibilities. I don't know how it is with other people, but that is how my life is. Whether it's taking a kid to the doctor, taking an exam, or taking myself to the doctor for that matter, that is what my "vacation" is all about.

If that is your definition of vacation then I am very sad for you.
    [h=3]va·ca·tion/vāˈkāSHən/
    [/h]

Noun:

An extended period of recreation, esp. one spent away from home or in traveling.

Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nearly every cert ive gotten has been on my own time, most often on leave.
  • Options
    ClevelandrsClevelandrs Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it is a great idea, on vacation you are more relaxed and can focus. I am leaving on vacation in a week and am going to use the time for my exam studies.
  • Options
    spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am usually with the majority on this and not ruin a vacation with a test. However, one of my back up plans this year (if I didn't pass the CISSP on the first try in April) was to take the exam in San Diego in August. A big deal when you're flying from Hawaii and back. But the strategy was to schedule the vacation before the test. I usually do light studying the week before a test so I figure I could get away with light studying while enjoying Legoland/Seaworld/SD Zoo then take the test on a Saturday and fly home on Sunday. Of course, ISC announced the CBT so that idea went out the window, then I passed so it seemed destined not to happen. icon_lol.gif I'm sure if it was an absolute necessity to do so, it would be ok. Then again, like everyone else said: if it's a vacation, take the time to enjoy it! You'll have enough time after it to worry about the exam. It's just a test after all. Unless its the CCIE lab. Then I'm pretty sure you won't be doing any vacation time until after the test.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!