Idle pc - gns3

Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
What is your IDLE PC value for IOS images on GNS3?

Comments

• Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    GNS3 requires that I load an IOS before router configuration and IDLE PC is a required field.

Please check your IOS image on GNS3 and let me know what you have.

Thanks!
  • oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    I'm sure idle-pc wasn't required when I did it. I set it up when I had powered on the routers, right clicked on one of them and clicked idle-pc, it then works out the value for you.
    So I managed to setup an IOS image to use without filling this in, not by my computer to even see what the value was though it's different for every machine and there will be a few values to select from (it will normally recommend one).

I followed CBT Nuggets for setup, where he skips idle-pc when setting up the image and then finds the value once router is on like I said.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • elderkaielderkai Member Posts: 279
    The IDLE-PC value is going to be different for every machine and one that's completely efficient on one PC might be a resource hog on another.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    elderkai wrote: »
    The IDLE-PC value is going to be different for every machine and one that's completely efficient on one PC might be a resource hog on another.

Agreed.

I'm pretty sure IDLE-PC is going to pick the best value.

I would head over to the GNS3 website to read up on it, and here are some videos you can watch to get more info:

CBT Nuggets

GNS3 Tutorial - Setting Up Idle PC Value in Windows, Mac or Linux to Reduce High CPU Utilisation - YouTube
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    On both of the video links, the routers are started up and running to display the idle pc. I cannot start them and get the following error.

R1: Dynanips Error

209-unable to start VM instance R1
    Dynamips error

router R1 is stopped. Idle-pc functions can only be used on running routers.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Should have done a search on that error message here on Techexams and/or Google and you will turn up plenty of hits.

Matter of fact, I had the same issue:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/77477-gns3-issue-getting-error-209-unable-start-vm-instance.html

And plenty of others too...

209-unable to start VM instance R1 - Google Search
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
    [h=3]GNS3 error "209-unable to start VM instance" General Issues:[/h]
    If you got this error in gns3, there are following possible solutions for this error. Try these one by one until your problem is solved.
    • Normally gns3 show this error when the path or the name of the IOS is not correct, its means that there is not special character in path and IOS name.
    • Change the IOS path to program files\dynamips.
    • Try to use only ascii characters in all your paths.
    • · Try other IOS(s) or platforms.
    • · Install GNS3 on default directory.