PuTTy not working

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just got my USB to serial converter for the PC.

I'm having serious complications reading the japanese instructions on how to install the drivers for it so I installed all of them.

I open my putty program to connect to the switch and when I click connect nothing happens. The windows just sits there and doesn't budge.

What gives?

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    Those USB to serial converters... oh god.... eww.. I spent HOURS of installing different drivers, never got it to work. Had to go and buy a PCI serial card with 2 serial ports on.

If you go into device manager is the adapter showing? (Without any errors)
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's a code 28, driver missing.
    Reason why I bought it was the description said it's plug and play. Well I plugged and it's not playing and I'm irate at the fact that the instructions were in Japanese. The part came from California and nowhere in the description did it say the manual was in Japanese.

I'm opening a dispute if they don't answer my question within 24 hours.

I'll go out and buy the serial card. I wanted the USB one for my laptop so it's more mobile.
    They are rubbish, such a shame.. £1.72 is what it cost me, PCI card was £15! No more slots now in my desktop either =/
    Got my money back for the adapter anyway :)

Is the adapter blue with a glittery cable?

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/supportDownload.aspx?FileType=56&FileID=133&pcid=85&Page=0 link for the drivers what are meant to be used anyway (at least for the one I had, it seems like a lot of these cheap adapters use the same chips which are meant to use these drivers though.)
    Lab:
  • RakuraiRakurai Member Posts: 84 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be careful with some of these...... first one that I bought from a local store in the DC area was a counterfeit which didn't work, I believe it gave an error #4 in device manager..... don't remember now, it was back in January. It was also a blue with a glittery silver cable.
    Mine is green actually.

Here is the link to the ebay posting

# USB to RS232 Serial 9 Pin DB9 high speed Adapter | eBay

It's the same prolific company though for the drivers. I just installed one and got a code 10, the drivers are outdated. I go to update them and it spits back the message that they are already up to date.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I have ZERO problems using tera term, putty and xshell with built in com1 port on the motherboard AND com3/com4 using the usb-to-serial adapter from amazon.com with my pc and netbook. Running XP and 7 :/
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    JeanM wrote: »
    I have ZERO problems using tera term, putty and xshell with built in com1 port on the motherboard AND com3/com4 using the usb-to-serial adapter from amazon.com with my pc and netbook. Running XP and 7 :/
    Actually, while I never got it working on my PC, I did on my parents... BUT it was unreliable, so I got it working one time out of the 5 I plugged it in.

A lot of people seem to be having problems with these cheap things though. Hopefully in the future network devices will use something else (not serial ports!)... My previous 2 computers haven't had a port on the mobo.
    Lab:
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Jasiono --
    I don't want to say you get what you pay for, but I bought one of those $2.99 pieces of junk once. Worked fine under XP but wasn't able to get it to run under Windows 7. I'm currently using this one that I picked up at a local store (Fry's) here in California. Drivers came with it and I haven't had any problems under Windows 7. Fry's will ship.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
    This one has good results - Amazon.com: TRENDnet USB to RS-232 Serial Converter TU-S9 (White): Electronics

Never any issues with it disconnecting.
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    Just remember to turn flow control off in the serial settings.
    Jean, a bunch of those reviews state it doesn't work for 64 bit windows 7. What OS are you running?
    64 bit?

Tehtog- I had all the settings properly set up.

Spd- I think I'll just buy the serial card instead.
    Jasiono wrote: »
    Jean, a bunch of those reviews state it doesn't work for 64 bit windows 7. What OS are you running?
    64 bit?

Tehtog- I had all the settings properly set up.

Spd- I think I'll just buy the serial card instead.

Works for me in Win 7 Pro 64bit on my desktop and XP Pro 32 bit on my netbook.
    It took me ages to find the drivers that worked in windows 7 pro 64bit. Ended up using the vista drivers.

If it's based on the prolific PL2303 google for "PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_1025.zip" or "vista-prolific-chip-driver-for-serial-adapters.zip". DO NOT let windows update install drivers, they don't work.

edit: FYI Windows 7 handles serial much different to previous versions. It tried to improve the serial devices but unfortunately this broke them for everyone not following the standards to the letter (which was pretty much every company).
    I don't know what version is needed. I'll do some snooping around in the disc I got to see if I see a number.
  • spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    I believe Prolific has a utility on their website that will check to see if its actually one of their chips in it.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
    Wow TehTog, I tried both of those drivers you mentioned and the Vista one worked like a charm!

YES! Password recovery mode. I learned something totally different than what I read. Every switch is different I guess.

1 down, 4 to go.
    Keep that installer and guard it with your life. It's taken me weeks to find once I've lost it. :P

Glad to know that it's working for you.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    IF I've never had a Win7 driver work, or could never find one, I always use the Vista driver. (Surprising some from Vista works...)

two days ago I received my Com port PCI Slot. I just got the one to connect off my Onboard Com header as I am out of PCI slots... It cost me $1.00 and $0.99 for postage. So I figured that was alright. I also purchased a female to Female serial cable as all the ones I had were amel to female.

Plugged in the serial slot and turned on my machine and ran putty and picked up my router straight away.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    TehToG wrote: »
    Keep that installer and guard it with your life.

I saved it and backed it up onto my flash drive and my external HDD (which is stored in a shelf after I back things up onto it)

kj0 - I envy you haha. I love windows 7 for how it runs and all but I'm starting to see how annoying it can get for some things.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Jasiono wrote: »
    how annoying it can get for some things.
    - One answer... Mac :)
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com