IPv6....need help....don't know where to start

FLEOHBFLEOHB Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking to take the CCENT soon (next month or so). I am getting better at everything but I still am having a very hard time with IPv6, like all of it. All I know about IPv6 at the moment is that its in hex (0-F), and that's it. If anyone could point me to a well written website or even book about IPv6 I be most thankful.

Also for those that know IPv6 how did you learn IPv6? (Book, classes, website, ect)

Comments

• oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    You don't need to know anything about IPV6 for the CCENT, only the CCNA according to the exam topics at least on the Cisco site.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • FLEOHBFLEOHB Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From what I have read from some posts here, it looks like at least some IPv6 is on the CCENT since World IPv6 Day
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Please do not break the NDA you agreed to when you took the exam. You should not be sharing with anyone what was on your exam.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wasn't sharing what was on my exam just what I figured needed to be studied for CCENT

I understand how my post could have been misconstrued though
  • ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    cisco blueprint will tell you everything you need, plus follow what self study your using.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FLEOHB wrote: »
    I am looking to take the CCENT soon (next month or so). I am getting better at everything but I still am having a very hard time with IPv6, like all of it. All I know about IPv6 at the moment is that its in hex (0-F), and that's it. If anyone could point me to a well written website or even book about IPv6 I be most thankful.

Also for those that know IPv6 how did you learn IPv6? (Book, classes, website, ect)

See if this helps: IPv6 by Todd Lammle 13/14 - YouTube

Lammle covered everything I felt like I needed to know about IPv6.

Edit: To answer your second question, I learned from Lammle's book. It's really not so bad, just a little different.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IPv6 is an ICND2-level topic, not a CCENT. Also as you can see if you read the ICND2 blueprint you simply need to be able to identify valid IPv6 addreses for the exam; configuration is not necessary.
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a plethora of resources out there on IPv6.

I learnt from several sources not just one, some people do a better job of explaining some aspects as opposed to others.

You should start with a brief overview and then look at it more in depth.
    I would start with looking at an IPv6 address and trying to break it down, network and host portion, type (link-local, Auto-configured, etc. )
    Here's a good article

IPv6.com - IPv6 Addressing

However, I definitely would second the Todd Lammle video just to get your feet wet.

Like IPv4 its hard to understand where the addressing stops and network applications begin.
    So, just learn to identify the basics as you would with IPv4, such as host, multicast, unicast etc.
    Then go into some very basic configuration.
    Let the scope of the curriculum guide your understanding, it will save you from being overwhelmed!
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Couple things to note on IPv4 address versus IPv6 address
    -You can have MULTIPLE VALID IPv6 addresses
    See this article http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zvm/v5r4/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.zvm.v54.kijl0/hcsk7b3014.htm

Let's compare the two using an example
    vs
    2620::6b0:a:250:56ff:fe99:171e

Things to note
    1) IPv4 is in decimal, IPv6 uses Hexadecimal.
    You really have to learn how to read Hex and do conversions, you did it with binary :) , it will take some getting used to.
    Don't worry you won't have to do multiplications or divisions.

2) IPv4 notation is broken down into four octets or rather four sets of eight bits (Not decimal digits!!!)
    These eight bits are separated by a period, ". " and are conveniently represented by decimal digits for each set of eight bits.

IPv6 notation is broken down into eight sets of sixteen bits.
    Unlike decimal, each set of four bits can be represented as a single hexadecimal digit.
    Therefore, sixteen bits can be represented as four hex digits.
    171e
    1: 0001
    7: 0111
    1: 0001
    E: 1110
    this is actually a bit easier since you only have to add groups of four bits and place them together to get the hex version, vice versa

These four hex digits (or sixteen bits) are separated by a colon , ":" as opposed to a period in IPv4.

Hope this helps a little!
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IPv4: Number = 0-255 = 1 Byte.
    IPv6: Hex = 0-F = 1/2 Bye.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams