Options

Wireless Adapter for Labs?

NytrocideNytrocide Member Posts: 225
Just realized something. My apartment is on the 2nd floor, while the main line, etc is all on the first floor. Is there some wireless adapter for a CCENT/CCNA lab that would be able to "pull" that connection wirelessly to my future setup? Drilling holes, etc. isn't an option unfortunately.

Thank you!
Goals for 2014: CCNA: Voice / CCNA: Security

Comments

• Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    You have a second floor apartment -- I understand that.
    "Main line, etc is all on the first floor" -- I don't know what you mean by "main line, etc" so don't know what you're asking for. About a month ago however, astrogeek commented in a thread about using an old linksys wireless router to reach his equipment from his desk. If you can explain what is on the first floor...
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Well, it all depends, many options really.

a) set your lab right next to your wired/wireless router, connect your choice of access server to your soho home router for access to the lab
    b) set your lab anywhere and run the cable to the access server and/or lab
    c) set your lab anywhere and set up a second wireless router as a bridge with your main wireless soho router.
    d) set your lab right next to you desk pc etc, configure a second nic for the lab use / access.

I am sure there are more options still.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    I meant that everything is on the first floor, and I connect to the internet merely by WiFi with my laptop. A bridge would be the most sensible thing at this point, right?
  • Options
    ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A wireless-ethernet bridge seems to be the most economical to me at the moment.
    I'm not fond of the things however.
  • Options
    Any recommended models for a basic home setup?
  • Options
    spd3432spd3432 Member Posts: 224
    Where do you plan on putting any equipment you purchase (1st floor with the incoming network / cable / phone drop) or 2nd floor where your apartment (and laptop) is? If it's the 2nd floor and you just (think you need) to allow your lab to access the internet, then you could use a wired connection from your laptop to your lab gear and "share" your wireless connection. If it's the other way around, then maybe look at the way astrogeek has his stuff setup in that other thread I linked yesterday.
    ----CCNP goal----
    Route [ ] Studying
    Switch [ ] Next
    Tshoot [ ] Eventually
  • Options
    I'd put all my equipment on the 2nd floor right next to my laptop, etc.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use one of these and it works great. I live on the Second floor and my lab room is on top of the third floor. sort of an attic with 3 rooms 1 each for every one in the building. I went out and bought a home plug and i have been very happy with it.

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=homeplug+adapter&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=846&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13928009058410642825&sa=X&ei=QsH9T_yrL8Ts0gWRz4CCBw&ved=0CHcQ8wIwAA
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    I actually have something like that...

Amazon.com: Netgear 85Mbps Powerline Network Adapter Kit - XETB1001: Electronics

...because wireless wasn't available on day one when we moved in (and I bought it frantically without looking too much into it because no internet makes me go crazy lol). However the person downstairs got all pissy about there being a big plug since you can't have it plugged into a power strip and it has to be direct to the wall.

So yeah, pretty much stuck to a wireless solution at this point unless I try setting my lab up back at my parent's house, though I'd rather not commute back and forth whenever I feel like labbing.

And before anyone says it, I know my main issue here is my apartment, but I can't afford to move anywhere else in the Boston area with all my other bills/loans, etc...but that's why I'm going for the CCNA! lol icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nytrocide wrote: »
    Any recommended models for a basic home setup?

I keep my cisco lab separate from my home network.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I meant a recommended bridge icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    If your lab will be right next to the laptop, maybe you don't need to worry about it? You can setup a soho router with DD-WRT and bridge function, google it for some exaples to give you an idea :)
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.