3 month course for preparing CCNA exam?

riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey

I've been given a chance to sign up to a 3 month course that prepares you to present yourself (and appove) the CCNA exam. Should it be enough, in normal conditions? I ask because it cost 1500€ and obviously I wouldn't like to waste my money.

I'm not a fan of reading books on my own time.

Thanks!

Comments

• CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Hey

Whats the name of the course?

To be honest, I would self study for at least 4-6weeks. Watch the cbt icnd1 nuggets, then read CCNA by Todd Lammle, then watch the trainsignal videos. You can get a copy of packet tracer and try out the commands. 1500 is alot of money, and you can spend a fraction of that learning by yourself and through the pain you will remember it better! If then you are not learning enough look at doing a course.

When I first got into cisco I thought that I could attend a course, but the amount of background reading you have to do is ALOT. Get a big cup of coffee and start watching/reading/labbing. Its hard, but then if it wasn't everyone would have these skills. Its an enjoyable process though :)
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The thing is I do not like to read books of any type, for pleasure or study. That's why I am intrested in a course instead of books. The CBT nuggets series I don't mind because they are videos so.....
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    If you want to work in the networking area, you've got to read books. A lot of them. It's just how it is. You could pass CCNA only with a course, but I don't think you'll have any real-world skills if you don't read systematically.
    Non-native English speaker
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i just posted a link yesterday for Cisco Networking Academy v4.
    i actualy went through the program at our local campus. it is a four semester 20 credit program.
    It is great you should do it, the link works perfectly and all labs work, and the links work
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Best advice I can give you: Sometimes we do things we don't like, so long term we can do something we love.

Do yourself a favor and read the book.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Sounds like a boot-camp? You pretty much have to read books in IT, especially the further you go.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sett wrote: »
    If you want to work in the networking area, you've got to read books. A lot of them. It's just how it is. You could pass CCNA only with a course, but I don't think you'll have any real-world skills if you don't read systematically.
    +1 on this. I agree with you 100%.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Best advice I can give you: Sometimes we do things we don't like, so long term we can do something we love.

Do yourself a favor and read the book.

+1 So true.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
    I dont mind reading a manual which is all fine and dandy, as it shows you how to do stuff step by step and with examples but like I said I HATE reading book (Im 24, not exactly a child anymore, so its just a personal prefrence). Ive tried reading books and I never get hooked. Hell, even my driving test book! I simply do not like reading books. Also my vision/head seems to get busy when reading (anything) on a moving vehicul (buses) Forums, manuals, (short) articles, etc I can pretty much read but the books?
    The course really has no name except CCNA COURSE 2012.
  • inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    riahc3 wrote: »
    I dont mind reading a manual which is all fine and dandy, as it shows you how to do stuff step by step and with examples but like I said I HATE reading book (Im 24, not exactly a child anymore, so its just a personal prefrence). Ive tried reading books and I never get hooked. Hell, even my driving test book! I simply do not like reading books. Also my vision/head seems to get busy when reading (anything) on a moving vehicul (buses) Forums, manuals, (short) articles, etc I can pretty much read but the books?

The cisco press course books have lots of high level theory,technology, and procedure; the authors are not necessarily the best at authoring, and the editors can’t comprehend, or grasp topics well enough to make changes. You sometimes need to read blindly for part of a chapter until it will become clear. Then rereading is always what I have to do. Networking has tons of reading, tons, and tons of reading.
    i do not mean to be rude, insensitive, arrogant, or disrespectful,Just my opinion, but you may want to look elsewhere for a career choice; unlessyou can convince yourself that reading is good! (You Know what else most all of us also actualy buy books not just ebooks.)
    The 4 semester course link i posted has lots and lots of reading none of it is step by step spoon feeding either.
    Im 24, not exactly a child anymore
    You know, books aren't just for children, right?
    CCNP R/S
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Uh, the book does show you examples and how to do things step-by-step; in the configuration portions. But you wouldn't know that because you've never looked inside the book. You need to read the book - I understand that sometimes reading is tough to do, harder than having someone simply explain the theory, etc. But to me this looks like laziness. Lazy people don't get their CCNA.

Oh and to answer your question: If you take a bootcamp and don't crack the book, you will not pass the exam unless you already have some experience with the technology that you have not yet told us about.
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you want to know just enough to pass the ccna or be the best cisco network engineer to ever walk the planet???

What you are going to learn at that class, you could learn with a couple books, and videos.

But if you got money to burn, I say do it. Having something explained by a teacher or fellow student might trigger a better understanding of a topic. Plus, you might make a friend or two, and increase your social network in the biz. From my experience, its not what you know, but who you know helps in getting the job.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not a fan of reading books on my own time.

This right here tells me that you wouldn't pass the CCNA test....even with a $1500 class. In fact, I would guess that without reading on your own time you won't pass the class itself either. Sometimes it sucks....a lot, but if you want the cert you need to make the sacrifice.
  • ChooseLifeChooseLife Member Posts: 941 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How many class hours does this 3-month course have? If it's full time, should be ok - I've done mine in 6 months by self-studying in the evenings/weekends.

Having said that, it will be tough for you to survive in this industry if you don't like reading. That's fine if that is your preference, but different industries tend to be suitable for people with specific mindsets/preferences, and in IS/IT/networking, reading is one of the most used skills.
    “You don’t become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard that you become great in the process.” (c) xkcd #896

GetCertified4Less
    - discounted vouchers for certs
    In reality things don't come to you handed on a plate. You have to better yourself. Like you've said multiple times, you don't like to read. Well, honestly you might pass ICND1 without a book but definitely not ICND2 or the mother of all tests, 640-802. Quite frankly you're going to have to grow up and read a book. Though, there are a lot of training videos and bootcamps out there, these may not go in depth enough for you to pass.

Being in IT is not easy. I thought to myself when I first got out of high school that I liked working on computers and might as well give it a shot. It was hard at times, but never anything that was going to kill me. A lot of people ask when I fix something "wow, you're a amazing - how did you know how to do that" it's usually because I've read a book and learned how to fix something, or just from experience. Now, I know A LOT of people get told that everyday. Though, some of us would like to hear it more often than others ;)

The simple rule is, if you want to get into a position, in this case, a networking position, you're going to need to pick up some books and knuckle down and get one with it. As for the fixing problems, you'll read it in the books, you'll lab it, and you'll actually fix it on real hardware (if you decide to buy real equipment, that is). Cisco is definitely a fun certification to study for, and if you're not willing to buy a simple book for $30, then I suggest you're in the wrong career buddy.

Sorry if this seems a little pushy or maybe even ignorant - it's not. I hear people say all the time, oh you're in IT and you just know it all. Yes, sometimes I do, and it's because I sit at my office/home and read, A LOT. I'm either on here and reading about people's problems with hardware on PC's, laptops, handheld devices and networking equipment, or reading a book. The ability to learn and gain more knowledge is unlimited. The only limitation in this case is you.
    CCNP R/S
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    The books will help you in the long run. Remember, the book has all the answers on most interviews.
  • CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Why don't you try hammering the videos instead? Watch all the nuggets, then all the trainsignal. And I'm sure you'd want to read a book, because when you do...it will make sense!
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• ttishttish Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□

I with ya man. I don't like reading books either but guess what? i do anyway. set aside some time for reading and labbing every night. NO video games or tv.

FYI reading is required in 100% of the courses i've taken.

GL
    I'm on my phone so quoting won't be the topiic at hand....

I just want to pass the test (directed at the person who asked me) and more importantly, learn things even if I don't pass.

I said my age not because I thought that books were for childern, but because I wanted to point out that I've lived some time to realize that I do not like reading. Even forum reading can get to me sometimes!

The CCNA books I've skimmed thu explain theory and with that theory they encorage you to implement it in your lab. A lab I don't mind building but of course I imagine it won't tell you exactly what t have in your lab and outcomes might be different.

I want to clearify that my problem with reading is strictly towards theory books I don't have problems with manuals, articles, etc. Its just theory books and novels which I cannot stand either.

I have never tried reading off a tablet/ebook. I don't know if it would make a difference or not.

Some of you asked about the course: its 112.5 hours, 80 hrs theory and the rest lab and its 33 days.

Well having said all this, the only way I might "read" a book is a audiotape. I don't mind listening it. So what are some good books? I looked up the Todd one and I believe I saw 300€. Is this correct? And I have the nuggets video which loook intresting to watch.

Thanks fo the opinions and I guess if this courrse won't do to pass the exam, I'll TRY books or might not go for it (I just can't sttand books, sorry, as much as I love netwoorking)
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No offense but you have to read cant be lazy. I mean theres much deeper explanation in text that the teacher wont go into. If you do not like reading try the chris bryant ebook its 10 bucks and its a real easy read. I took a ccna class that was a month long and it was the first time i was taught the technology on packet tracer.

To be honest once the month was up I had no clue what the hell was going on just too much information to digest. Figured afterwards to get serious I then bought the ebook and got cbt nuggets with jeremy invested in my own lab. They gave a month off then come back to do a final group project deploying multiple AD domain, sites with ospf and something else dont remember. I studied ccna and practiced it hard for a month came back and was schooling everyone, they were lost I was the "cisco lead" of the project. Surely enough I put 6 months afterwards of studying and labbing I knocked out the ccna. Afterwards I took a look at my notes from the ccna class and all it is bullet points not much deep explanation.

On another note 3 months can be an intensive course thats a good amount of time to learn it. Your success would also depend on your supplemental reading after class and labbing on your own time. If you hit it hard for 3 months you could know it well enough to pass the exam but if you just want to depend on the lecture and a possible braindump they will prob provide its on you buddy.

In the end its your money if I was you I'd save my money start off with packet tracer, cbt nuggets, and chris bryant ebook. Once your at a level at comfort on the cli start buidling your own lab.

If I had my degree already I wouldnt have spent a dime on training but since I dont the training school i attended gave 39 transfer credits to thomas edison which covered a+,net+,mcse 03, ccna, linux over a year which is helping me wrap up my associates. It wasnt cheap I basically paid for credits.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I hope you don't mind building a lab! After all a lab will basicly be a physical manifestation of what you'll be understanding in the Cisco courses.

Reading off a tablet has a few benefits:
    1) It's lighter than a single book.
    2) Read at night.
    3) Makes reading a heck of a lot easier at the gym and a lot less messy.

I can't stand reading. No really. I never really read books in school. I passed because I was able to take what I seen and mold it into answers or something. This was before "no child left behind". Although, Math bored me and I skipped class to work on computers (lol). My fiance loves books to the depth that I make her read the books I don't want to... "Men's Health Diet", and then she'll spit back what I should be doing in a quick-pace whenever I'm doing something wrong. Anything with fiances, even though I take care of the money - I make her read. Cars? All her.

What did I do in school? Starseige: Tribes, World of Warcraft, Magic the Gathering, Xbox... yup. Times were good. It's probably why I didn't pass my ccna exam the first time in high school. I didn't really care. I liked it, but not more than popping a Mid-air disc into some bloodeagle's back. Wait, I did webdesign and fixed computers and such.

I've actually tried to get her to read the cisco books. She refuses to do that for me so I didn't have a choice. She doesn't want to learn computer stuff. :P

Honestly, after a while -I still don't love it- I've learned to tolerate reading. It opens a lot of doors. After a chapter read it can really be summed up in points. Main topics if you will that make going through it quicker.

Hell, I finished the first chapter in ICND1 at t the gym with the OSI and TCP/IP model. Pretty slick. Man to see all the protocols on level two like that brought back horrorific memories of my headaches trying to pound those protocols into my skull when I came across the picture. *shudders* How much I've learned [how to study], and how much I have yet to even glimpse :D
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Well having said all this, the only way I might "read" a book is a audiotape. I don't mind listening it. So what are some good books? I looked up the Todd one and I believe I saw 300€. Is this correct? And I have the nuggets video which loook intresting to watch.

It's scientifically proven that you'll retain more information when you read it. An audiobook may stick for a little while, but while you're on an exam you'll be able to remember what you have read, not what you have listened to.
    CCNP R/S
    Ill try to "tolerate" some books; what are some good ones to start with that are cheap and avaliable in a ebook format? I ask for cheap because if I can't read them I don't want 500 buck paperweights around.

Thanks!
    Ill have to give a try to tolerate it at least...
    You can buy used copies of ccent at Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 640-822 Official Cert Guide (3rd Edition) (978158720425icon_cool.gif: Wendell Odom: Books

20 bucks for the new edition. Heck, 21 bucks new.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

A 1011 book............and just for part one of the CCNA exam icon_sad.gif

Im going to go search for a tablet thats good for reading these things and try it. Sucks to spend money on a tablet and MAYBE not like it at the end but like most of you said: I have to try.

Thanks for the suggestions and ill be back in months problably.
    Pop in for a visit for a heart-to-heart chat about cisco. We're not going anywhere, and we'll be more than happy to help you. I may just lurk though ;)

• KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    @OP - it's highly likely that the course you intend to do will provide you with a book on day one and then tell you every week what chapters to cover for next class.