Options

Want some Microsoft veterans opinions, please

ProfessorGumbyProfessorGumby Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've just been gifted a set of Microsoft Press books for Windows Server 2003. Since I haven't been too involved with the Windows server installs/configs here at work, how should I attack these books to get myself up to speed as quickly as possible? I'm not worried about certifications right now, eventually, but maybe the 2008 track. Should I just read these in order (70-290, 291, 293, and 294?) Learning A.D. would be at the top of my "to do" list, if it matters.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    They're good books and you'll learn a good amount. I think reading the 2008 R2 books makes more sense at this point, but you'll still learn plenty of relevant information reading about 2003.

If you are going to pursue Windows certifications anyway, I actually don't see any problem with going for an MCSA on 2003 right now. You list "MCP Win2KPro" in your certifications, and unless I'm misunderstanding, that is a valid client exam for MCSA on Server 2003. All you need is 70-290 and 70-291 and you've got a fairly valuable certification.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I am 50-50 on that, although W2K3 will remain active for some time, most companies will start or planning some sort of migration in the next few years. Maybe a better idea to get W2k8 R2 to future proof your investment. It depends on you, for me I always like the newest and shiniest in my garage irrespective of the pain it may cause :D
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    Thank you both for your responses. Yes, I do have 2KPro MCP. I didn't think they would still count it towards anything at this point.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Still a valid client exam for 2003, since you've already passed it.
    Systems Administrator| MCSA | Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator

I did neglect that 2003 also requires a single elective exam, but that should be easy enough.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here is how I would approach it: if you're just using the books as a learning tool to gain Windows infrastructure knowledge, pick and choose topics like DNS, DHCP and associated networking services, Active Directory, Security, Storage, and maybe some others. These topics will either have not changed significantly in 2008, or will have added features in 2008. I don't remember whether basic troubleshooting is covered or not, but that is always good to go over.

If you're mainly wanting to focus on certifications, I'd just spring for some 2008 study materials honestly.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm with blargoe on this one, you can definitely use the 2003 books to gain some insight and start your studies. However, I wouldn't spend the kind of time and effort it takes to pursue all the cert-exams for MCSA/MCSE on 2003 at this point, that kind of blood, sweat, and tears is best saved for the 2008 track. Spend some time reading, get familiar with topics like Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, etc., and then move on. The biggest issue you'll probably find is where to get your hands on a trail-copy of Windows Server 2003. They used to give them out with the books, but if the discs are missing your only real option is to find someone willing to gift you a full license. . . (and that's not very likely.)

If I were in your position, I'd start with network infrastructure topics, then really hammer the AD stuff. Things have changed there, but a LOT of the basics are the same or similar, like working with users/groups and how Group Policy is applied. From there, moving up to 2008 is just a matter of learning what's new and some of the new features that come with the OS.

Once you're done with the 2003 material, a path I'd strongly recommend for getting into Windows Server 2008 territory is the MCITP: Server Administrator/MCSA: Windows Server 2008. It consists of three exams - one on AD, one on network infrastructure and services, and one on managing and designing a Windows network - which will give you a HUGE amount of insight into Windows Server 2008. While the next-level up certification, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator, is popular and covers a bit more in terms of Microsoft technology, I'd recommend skipping over it at this point and looking down the road towards Windows Server 2012. It's not out yet, but by the tail-end of this year, it will launch, along with the new certs.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options

Great info, Slowhand (and everyone else). I appreciate the feedback. Very helpful.