Options

Brocade Certs

Has anyone worked toward Brocade certs? We use a ton of their Layer-2 products in the enterprise and I am thinking about getting the CCNA-equivalent. Any impressions about the cert program?
Reloaded~4~Ever

Comments

• Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    We have some of their layer 2 gear as well. While I think Brocade is recognized for their SAN switches, going the CCNP route(lol) might be more beneficial due to it's exposure and the fact that you already have an associate level networking certification. That is unless you are doing it for the niche aspect and in that case, got for it.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    If you are interested in data center and fcoe, then brocade has some really really really good free videos and guides and cheap 101-type exams you can take. Great education system they've got.
  • Options
    reloadedreloaded Member Posts: 235
    Thanks for the comments. I'm already 1/3 through my CCNP (switch is done) so I think I might hit up Brocade after that's complete. I just performed a major infrastructure upgrade using some of their layer-3 gear, so I'm thinking it might be good to add those experiences to my creditials.
    Reloaded~4~Ever
  • Options
    techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is there really a market for brocade? I dont really ever see it in job postings.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    If you are interested in data center and fcoe, then brocade has some really really really good free videos and guides and cheap 101-type exams you can take. Great education system they've got.
    Which ones in particular?
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I have never even heard that name before, is it worth anything?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilry wrote: »

They're big in FC.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Brocade is pretty big in the storage networking space. Our HP StorageWorks SAN Switches are just rebadged Brocades.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    reloaded wrote: »
    Has anyone worked toward Brocade certs? We use a ton of their Layer-2 products in the enterprise and I am thinking about getting the CCNA-equivalent. Any impressions about the cert program?

I have a quote sitting on my desk for $325,000 worth of Brocade ethernet switches. For people that know Foundry/Brocade (Brocade bought Foundry in 200icon_cool.gif that certification will be very helpful. The enterprise is dominated by Cisco gear but Brocade/Foundry have an excellent reputation in datacenters and ISPs. If you imagine your career going down that road then the Brocade tests are worth it. The Brocade interface is almost a complete rip off of Cisco anyway, so all you have to do is learn the little differences between them.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903

Brocade is to storage as Cisco is to ethernet. Actually, I think Brocade is even more dominant in FC than Cisco is in Ethernet because there is really only Cisco and QLOGIC playing in the FC space with Brocade. People generally don't get exposed to Brocade FC until they have 5-6 years of experience in IT because of how critical it is to the infrastructure.