Options

Question about 98-349, 98-366, and 98-367

I've decided to go ahead and get the 98-349, 98-366, and 98-367 exams out of the way before I start WGU in Sept. I have access to the Sybex books for these exams. In your experience will these be sufficient to pass the exam with or should I spend the extra money on the Microsoft books?

Comments

• Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    [h=2]Stick with Sybex for those[/h]I wouldn't waste you money on the M$ press books, they always jack up the prices higher than necessary. And In my experience they rarely sufficiently prepare you.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    if you have been in it for a while you should be able to pass these tests with no problem. Read the questions carefully and use good judgement. I pass these 3 without cracking a book for them. Pretty cool tests..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    INeedCertsINeedCerts Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    without even cracking a book, you must be good
  • Options

I was suprised myself but ive been in IT for about 7 years. I guess I have the foundational skills.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the OS and network one earlier this week with out even looking over the requirements.

If you are familiar with windows 7, and you already work in IT then you should be good.

I passed my Network+ last year and pretty much aced the network one.

They are easy if you consider your self an IT pro
  • Options
    kgbkgb Member Posts: 380
    I just passed 98-349 this morning. I do not do IT support/engineer for a living so I had to actually read and learn the objectives.

I spent 7 days studying, MTA textbook provided by WGU and MeasureUp (bought it myself).

It's an easy test compared to every other one I've taken so far.

I plan on taking the Server test in 7 days(next Friday) as well, plan on utilizing MeasureUp once again.
    Bachelor of Science, Information Technology (Software) - WGU
  • Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WGU does provide adequate study material for the MTA exams. If you want to knock them out before hand, the Sybex books should be enough. These are very easy exams.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Options
    kgb wrote: »
    I just passed 98-349 this morning. I do not do IT support/engineer for a living so I had to actually read and learn the objectives.

I spent 7 days studying, MTA textbook provided by WGU and MeasureUp (bought it myself).

It's an easy test compared to every other one I've taken so far.

I plan on taking the Server test in 7 days(next Friday) as well, plan on utilizing MeasureUp once again.

passed the server test over the weekend. I dont see how they consider that entry level. It's kind of tough...

• Options
    Joedoc164Joedoc164 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone had trouble finding a testing site? I have a certiport site nearby and two colleges that let nonstudents test but can't find any site that offers the 98-349 test, despite offering other microsoft tests.
    Bachelors of Science: Information Technology
    Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1 BVC1, CLC1, DHV1
    Completed: WFV1, AXV1, CPV1, DFV1, MGC1, CTV1, CUV1, BOV1, BNC1 RIT1, TPV1, COV1, CJV1, C169, C480, C436, C435, C697, C698 :cheers:
    To Be Completed:
    In Progress:

• Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I'v never had issues with that. Since the Certiport website literally generates the secure tunnel and pulls the test down. Logically that tells me offering any means they offer all. The site I use hosts all of them without issue.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    Joedoc164Joedoc164 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Passed the 98-349 today. Not thrilled with my score but I had to guess a few times. I was a little surprised when I had to help the proctor turn the computer on and troubleshoot why the monitor was still black. Power buttons are mysterious things. On to the next cert, im thinking A+ or S+ and starting WGU.
    Bachelors of Science: Information Technology
    Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1 BVC1, CLC1, DHV1
    Completed: WFV1, AXV1, CPV1, DFV1, MGC1, CTV1, CUV1, BOV1, BNC1 RIT1, TPV1, COV1, CJV1, C169, C480, C436, C435, C697, C698 :cheers:
    To Be Completed:
    In Progress:

• Options
    kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am looking to knock out the 98-349 as one of my next classes for WGU. I have just briefly breezed over the classes and it seems really basic.

I did a google and found this: ftp://ftp.certiport.com/Marketing/MTA/docs/MTA_SSG_WindowOS_SSG_Without_Crop.pdf

Are these questions really on par with what can be expected on the exam? If so I might schedule for the next possible date. =p
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, if you can read that PDF and answer pretty much all the questions right. Yes its that easy for some with a good IT back ground. I did the MTA:OS, Server, and network. All i did was read those PDFs, i could answer all of those right so i went and took the tests.
  • Options
    kocherkocher Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cruwl wrote: »
    Yes, if you can read that PDF and answer pretty much all the questions right. Yes its that easy for some with a good IT back ground. I did the MTA:OS, Server, and network. All i did was read those PDFs, i could answer all of those right so i went and took the tests.

Thanks for the reply Cruwl, I have the 349, 361, 363 and 364 as part of my degree.

The 349 I figured would be easy but didn't realize it was this basic. I will likely set up and test that right after the holidays. The other classes -- programming and databasing I'll prolly have to touch some review for first.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Please tell me questions like this are on the exam:

2. What Windows 7 editions can Christian consider using if he wants
    to use Windows XP Mode?
    a. Home, Millennium, and 98 Second editions
    b. Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions
    c. Business, Professional, and Super Ultimate Premium editions

In all seriousness though, this exam looks like a breeze. I can see where a school might want to use the structure for a class though, as this would be a good starting point for M$ technology.
  • Options
    dj_kenshindj_kenshin Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just ran through the PDF and two I changed from the right answer to the wrong one by accident. 60/63 on the practice if it is THAT easy I want to go take the exam ASAP....
  • Options
    bigborianbigborian Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

This is my first post! I would like to just add my .02 about the 98-349 and 98-366. As mentioned before the Sybex study material is the best for this exam. The certiport practice tests are nothing like the actual exam. None of the questions are scenario based they are all straight questions with one word answers. The one thing that the certiport does help with is thinking "microsofty". Since this is a Microsoft exam, the Microsoft solution is always the correct solution. I would say, make sure you study the administrative tools that come with windows 7 and server 2008, and also other tools that you can download from microsoft e.g. windows live sky drive, microsoft security essentials, microsoft malicious software removal tool. They do make third party stuff that does the same thing but these tests want to make sure you choose the microsoft solution.
  • Options
    CPLWeeksCPLWeeks Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cruwl wrote: »

I just passed the 98-349 this afternoon and in retrospect I agree with cruwl; The PDFs linked above are a very good resource for test preparation. Study those documents, walk in with some self-confidence, and you'll do just fine.
  • Options
    jayskatajayskata Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CPLWeeks wrote: »
    I just passed the 98-349 this afternoon and in retrospect I agree with cruwl; The PDFs linked above are a very good resource for test preparation. Study those documents, walk in with some self-confidence, and you'll do just fine.

I think I'll be taking 98-366 and 98-367 :) Can you guys recommend study materials for these exams? Much appreciated.
  • Options
    shawns1982shawns1982 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can send you some links if you want, message me. These are the study guides i am going over.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I felt that the Sybex book along with the certiport study guide was a good combo for the 98-366.
    Working on: CCNP Switch