Options

WSUS Help

rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
Ok I'm at my wits end here guys. Long story short, I'm trying to stand up a new WSUS server (2003). I've got WSUS running, I can point clients to it, they show up on the console but they never "report in". In fact, even the server itself won't report it's own status. I've cleared out the softwareupdate file, did a resync, and nothing is working. In the softwareupdate.log, I'm seeing multiple SOAP 0x8024400d errors. I can't get the server to talk to itself. IIS is running, everything appears to be set/behaving correctly, but I'm not getting anywhere.

Any advice/suggestions?
CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS

Comments

• Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    From one of the clients that is not updating, try accessing :
  • Options
    That works as I'm prompted to open/save the wuident.cab file.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is this a new installation of WSUS or an upgrade?
  • Options
    New install. Our old server crapped out last week and I've been trying to stand up a new one but nothing is working.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Run the client diagnostic on the clients...
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/7/6/976d1084-d2fd-45a1-8c27-a467c768d8ef/WSUS%20Client%20Diagnostic%20Tool.EXE

When you on windows 7 machine for example when you try to run the update what do you see?
    Try getting an update
    also
    look on the windowsupdate logs
    the location is on %windir%/windowsupdate.log

Also when i was looking for the problem i had with a client WSUS last week i remenber i saw something referring of that error which says generally the 0x8024400D / SOAP 0x12c errors have been most commonly associated, empirically, with duplicated SusClientID values (although the published cause as discovered by PSS was improper configuration of NLB scenarios).
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone's help. I finally (I think) found the issue. Apparently it had something to do with the Windows Update client on the client computers. Microsoft pushed out an update to it recently, and it seems quite a few people have been having similar issues. What I found was if you installed the "old" version of the client, things start working again. You will need to "force" the installation of the old client, so from run you type the location of the old WU client installer and add the switch /wuforce (Removing Windows Update) Once I did that and then ran wuauclt /detectnow /reportnow things started working.
  • Options
    Well its the same issue i got with this client, the thing is that for some reason, the new client that cannot communicate with the NEW WSUS server update install itseft automatically event if you got in the GPO let me choose wherever install an update.... i mean WTF?
    Just be careful the lastesd update of the client autoinstall again...

You can also apply the update to the wsus which is compatible with the new client...
    But the bad thing of it is that i have read many people having troubleh with this update... blowing up their WSUSs...
  • Options
    Yeah I read that last night (in fact I tried running the WSUS patch last night on my WSUS server and it completely hosed the DB). So far things are working ok...I'm going to monitor throughout the weekend and if things hold we will update our GPO's next week to push clients to this new server (though I may have to rollback the WU client on each box, but that shouldn't be that bad...)
  • Options
    Yep but you got all the clients... for my luck in this client it just a few clients with this issue.... just like 7 and im lucky because they are over 700+ clients... :)
    Anyways i will give the option to this client and well i ll let him decide...
    The new Wsus update does give a secuity update... but the bad thing is that as you read and i read it can blow up your wsus... Even microsoft told me that they were getting a lot of tickets of people installing that KB haha!
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Im confused. Is this an client update causing this, WSUS update? I want to preemtive this.
    Advice on what not to do.