Options

Keyboard doesn't work until in Windows

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Has anyone else ran into this? I have a desktop computer that the keyboard won't work until you get fully into windows. I need to change a configuration in the BIOS and can't get to it.

I've tried to unplug the keyboard and plug it into a different port, and I've also tried a different keyboard. But, alas, no workie.
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    Tried another keyboard with the other input? PS/2 instead of USB if supported

Are you hitting buttons before the keyboard lights flash?
  • Options
    Yep, all of those. No PS/2 unfortunately.

And yes, tried pressing all buttons. No lights come on until in Windows.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    it looks like someone turned off the usb keyboard option in the bios, the way ive worked around this is to flash the bios or reset it
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    flash the bios? yeech.

Just reset CMOS using the jumper? Some of these high-tech motherboards have a reset switch. So cool.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Hmm... It's been a while I've done a flash. Any programs you can recommend to do so?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    flash the bios? yeech.

Just reset CMOS using the jumper? Some of these high-tech motherboards have a reset switch. So cool.

That'll probably be the first thing to do.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Hmm... It's been a while I've done a flash. Any programs you can recommend to do so?

Since it's been awhile, there may be a BIOS update on the manufacture website. I don't know if that resets the settings but could be worth a shot. Dell should offer an option to do it from Within Windows, or make a bootable disk to update it.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My computers let me flash within Windows. I had a keyboard that didn't activate until Windows started and I needed to get into the BIOS. I was mad bashing the F2 key to get into the bios but no luck, had to try a different keyboard to get in.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    did you reset the cmos,tpatt100? Most of the issues I've found within BIOS can be fixed by doing that.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Try different usb ports. Sounds stupid, but I've run into that on a few newer Dell machines at work.
  • Options
    Like I stated in my first post. I've tried every USB port on the computer. icon_sad.gif
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Didn't realize you had tried all the ports, my bad.

Is it a fancy keyboard or a generic one? You're connecting directly and not through a kvm? Is the keyboard the only usb device plugged in?
  • Options
    NoTime2BurnNoTime2Burn Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which motherboard is in your computer? I usually look for something like "enable legacy USB support". You may also have a security setting prohibiting keyboard entry during POST. Sometimes organizations have these set so users can't disrupt anything in the boot process.
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    Any chance the computer is a Dell if so PM me the Service Tag I can get you the information you need.

Flashing the BIOS won't work your setting are saved even in a Flash.

Like Roguetadg stated clear your CMOS\NVRAM with the jumper on the Motherboard.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Unplug power and remove CMOS battery. Hold power button for 15 seconds. Replace and retry.

Also, be sure to use generic keyboards. Dont use the ones with extra hotkeys for browsers, volume, email, etc...

Good Luck