70-647 Any point in doing this now????

Well What a bunch on **££$£**3*134*-'S retireing this exam. Why??? I have spent the last 2 months new baby screaming an all studying to resit this only to find out that it been retired.

Does anyone know if this is getting replaced with anything??

God am so angry.

Once again thanks MS for taking my cash and then telling me its not worth spending. Me thinks am gonna go Networking route and be done with MS for good!!
Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    What do you mean retired? All the info I see is saying that it will be retired 7/31/2013. I'm pretty sure that the 2008 exams will be replaced with 2012.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Ch@rl!3m0ngCh@rl!3m0ng Member Posts: 139
    undomiel wrote: »
    What do you mean retired? All the info I see is saying that it will be retired 7/31/2013. I'm pretty sure that the 2008 exams will be replaced with 2012.

Yup thats what am talking about. It is retired next year. There will be no upgrade for MCITP EA's to the 2012 equivenlant. So your EA is now wortha MCSA 2008. What was the point in making my eyes bleed studying the 70-643 and 70-647. Complete waste of all our time if you ask me.

Sorry for Rant but am so anoyed about this. This gonna renew CCNA and then do CCNP and forget Microsoft all together.
    Currently reading: Syngress Linux + and code academy website (Java and Python modules)

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved." - Sun Tzu, 'The Art of War'
  • nastynate604nastynate604 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    According to the Microsoft Certified Trainer at my work, if you complete the 2008 Server Series of exams (infastructure, Active Directory, and server admin) when they retire the exams next year you only have to study and pass one test to get upgraded to the 2012 server equivalent. I would double check your resources. Cheers.
  • antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    According to the Microsoft Certified Trainer at my work, if you complete the 2008 Server Series of exams (infastructure, Active Directory, and server admin) when they retire the exams next year you only have to study and pass one test to get upgraded to the 2012 server equivalent. I would double check your resources. Cheers.

Yes, this information is on the MS website. If you complete the 2008 exams, you are required to take ONE exam to get your MCSE 2012. That's a much better deal than doing all 5-6 exams again (and cheaper).
  • bdubbdub Member Posts: 154
    antielvis wrote: »
    Yes, this information is on the MS website. If you complete the 2008 exams, you are required to take ONE exam to get your MCSE 2012. That's a much better deal than doing all 5-6 exams again (and cheaper).

No that is not correct, one exam will get you MCSA: Server 2012. You will need 3 exams to get MCSE: Server Infrastructure. This is the same for MCITP:EA and MCITP:SA
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Didn't you at least learn something useful?
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I agree, thats why I decided on 08 SA instead of EA. I guess you can just think of it was 'yay, I learned stuff I didn't know..' ? :)
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You may want to look at your reasons for wanting to sit these exams in the first place. Plenty of the knowledge you gain in studying for this exam will be transferable to the 2012 exams. Not to mention it will be only 1 exam to upgrade to MCSA: 2012, which you may note is a requirement for either MCSE:SI or DI.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    I agree that I will be a MCSA 2008 but hello MS are changing the goal posts. I would have been better off just doing the SA. Cant see the point in doing the EA now. Yes I learned something but does not making me feel any better getting screwed over by MS. Once have completed EA will be sticking with CISCO me thinks.

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you already have everything in the track but 70-647, it is absolutely worth finishing. No question. MCITP:EA is a certification in and of itself, and it will still be valid and worth having.

It is probably not worth pursuing at this point for anyone who has not already been studing 643 or 647.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    I agree completely the amount of information crammed into 643/647 is by itself a big reason to take up these exams. I have found that compared to 640 and 642 I am spending a lot more time researching/studying reference material for 643. The reason is the scope is huge, on one side you Sharepoint/IIS 7 on the other RDP Infra and Storage and then Virtualization.
    I have still not understood how MS can just end the EA Track without a relevant upgrade as SA does not have any of this in the scope. These technologies are relevant and used in almost all enterprises. Getting a SA will not prepare you for this.
    Everything said and done, if its a job requirement or for getting a position then I dont see a reason to put yourself through the torture icon_rolleyes.gif
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
    Thanks Guys. was true bee told very tired when posted this(First baby icon_cheers.gif my son). Think will resit this exam but only once as I sat it and got like 621 i think. So should hopefully nail it then onto either CCNA renewal or RHCSA and RHSE me thinks. Will see which way my work takes me.