Options

Network Laser Printer for Home use

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys,

Can you recommend a laser printer with scanner for home use?
I currently have HP C4480, and I am using a print server. I can send a print job to the printer, but I can't scan. To scan I have to disconnect the printer from the network and plug it in to the computer.

I am looking for something that I can connect to the my network (wired or wireless) and send a print job; about the scan part, it would be great if I can scan a document and send it straight to my computer.
My price range is below $200.

What do you guys use at your home?
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've enjoyed my brother hl-2270DW, but it's just a printer though. Perhaps something like this will work for you?:Amazon.com: Brother Printer DCP7065DN Monochrome Laser Multi-Function Copier: Electronics

That only does black and white, is color printing a requirement?
  • Options
    Yes, would need color for pictures, but black & white will be used most of the time
    I forgot to mentioned that laser printer that works with Ubuntu and OSX.

Would you be able to scan a document from that printer and send it over your network in a pdf format?
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    KrunchiKrunchi Member Posts: 237
    exampasser wrote: »
    I've enjoyed my brother hl-2270DW, but it's just a printer though. Perhaps something like this will work for you?:Amazon.com: Brother Printer DCP7065DN Monochrome Laser Multi-Function Copier: Electronics

That only does black and white, is color printing a requirement?

I second anything Brother I purchased my first Brother printer recently and it is a great printer INK is cheap also the Drivers work with just about any OS.

HP and there high dollar INK and Drivers that only work with a few operating systems and the bloat ware that comes with the install stay away from HP.
    Certifications: A+,Net+,MCTS-620,640,642,643,659,MCITP-622,623,646,647,MCSE-246
  • Options
    Cool will get Brother printer

Thanks guys
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    Krunchi wrote: »
    I second anything Brother I purchased my first Brother printer recently and it is a great printer INK is cheap also the Drivers work with just about any OS.

HP and there high dollar INK and Drivers that only work with a few operating systems and the bloat ware that comes with the install stay away from HP.

HP's printers work on Linux, Mac, and Windows. They devote a lot of resources to making them work on all three and have great Linux support. They also have a much larger support network than any other printer company out there making repair much easier. As for the ink prices, Brother printers almost always use several cartridges in their inkjet printers so they do cost less per cartridge, but you have to buy several of them to fully use a printer and they do not last as long as HP inkjet printer cartridges do.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I don't have a laser printer, but the last printer I bought was the Kodak Office Hero 6.1 and it's been surprisingly solid. Ink cost is perfectly reasonable, and the cartridges last a reasonable amount of time, and it works with whatever OS I throw at it.
  • Options
    My problem with inkjet printers, it cost to much to buy those ink cartridges and these past few weeks I have been printing a lot of docs. I just thought of getting a network laser printer and the toner usually can print 3000+ pages or something like that.

I have an inkjet HP printer and the black cartridge price is about 20+, I think. I was checking the HP software I installed on my Mac and noticed that it is not as bloated compare to the Windows version.
    Studying:
    Reading: