Options

CCNP-Security or CCNP-Wireless - Which one is more on demand

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
Just wondering by experience. can anyone highlight on which of these is in more demand, or popular.
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I'd say it depends on your area, and where you interest lies. Plus picking a cert based on a "hot topic" can lead to a whole discussion in itself.

Security is always a hot topic, especially if you have the exposure to ASA, IPS.

If your interested in Wireless I'd tackle the CWNP unless you work in a heavy Cisco Wireless enviorment

+1 for CCNP: Security (I was going to tackle this one myself but got hypnotized by the IE)
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    which are you more interested in and where you live are the keys but don't get the cert because it is hot at the moment. Look at the long view of it.

**edit**
    I would have to agree with the posts above and below me. Security you can get into much easier as security engineers are needed everywhere.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    security
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't like "Hot" Certifications.

But looking from a corporate view - Security.

Wireless looks like a very focused topic; techologies of no-wired transmissions (Magic?). A "Security" certification can encompass more (and include) than wireless and branch into other areas. It's mile wide, instead of mile deep. I'm looking at the certifications based on the title, which people (Not in the know or otherwise) automatically draw an assumption just from the name.

Not to mention, corporations would like to keep themselves out of the lime light for the lack of security. Someone with knowledge and the assumed experience someone at the NP level has, could do more with less. A quicker ROI in that case.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    I said security before because security gets paid a lot more than any field that I know.
    Also, security guys that i personally friends with doesnt work as much as RS or wireless guys. They dont have that much outages and their gears doesnt go down since they have a very few gears compare to RS guys that have tons of switches and routers.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you have experience with either? An experienced wireless guy with the CCNP Wireless is going to be more in demand than a CCNP Security certified person with no experience.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    AyoubCAyoubC Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say CCNP Wireless. CCNP Security is everywhere. Ironically I am also targeting for CCNP Security icon_cool.gif