Options

Million Dollar Question...

gbell76gbell76 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I did a search to no avail. Which do you recommend? ICND1 >>> ICND2 and break it up or CCNA? I'm really struggling with this... Not sure if most found success by breaking it up or not. I am grateful for your input.

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It's definitely easier to break it up since you don't have to study two huge books at the same time but if you have networking experience, then it might be easier to do the composite exam
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I always vote for the one test approach. You have to learn it all anyway and the less time you have to spend sweating in the exam room the better IMO.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I prefer 2 tests over 1. My reasons:

While i'm not saying you'll not pass, it can come up and if that's the case:
    1) If you fail the 2 test exam, you loose out on 300 dollars. If you fail one test, you lose 150.

Less stress while in the exam room with the thought of "I may loose 300 dollars". I don't know about you, but 300 bucks is just shy of half a paycheck.

2) 1 Book of 561 to study. Instead of two books of 1188 pages of information. Oh wendell... :P
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm with networker on this. CCENT is something like 60% or more of CCNA. What's a little bit more knowledge? There is even a good book for it.

Amazon.com: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, Seventh Edition (includes CD-ROM) (9780470901076): Todd Lammle: Books
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    DarthVaderDarthVader Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Iris as usual!
    If you have the background...go for the single test.
    If not, you would be better off doing the two test scenario.
    Good luck!!!!!
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the two test route is best, for the reasons posted earlier.
  • Options
    DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I liked splitting it up into two exams. It broke up the topics so I could focus my studies into a smaller group. However, I agree with Iristheangel in that experience may make the composite worth it. Wasn't the case in my experience.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The two exam approach for me.. I am able to take two big bites, and pretty much identify master , repeat, rinse, and repeat again, then take a test, and know i know material inside and out.

I feel like now when studying Vlan VTP STP... and the like for ICND2.. I have earned the right to move up and feel that my abilities have been confirmed and with similar effort/focus/and preparation I will be able to pass.. versus.. having huge anxiety for 1 exam for 300.00 I felt that taking the stepped approach would allow me more precision and retention.. and obviously wouldn't have been as dire if I failed. I was able to take great notes that are measured and in nice continuous blocks for when If I ever need to reexamine the exam material... and again... I literally feel like I am ready for all of this exams content and have a confidence that I am taking steps, but also watching where I step.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cisco recommendation is 2 test for newbies & combined for recert. I agree with their recommendation.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gbell76 wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but I did a search to no avail. Which do you recommend? ICND1 >>> ICND2 and break it up or CCNA? I'm really struggling with this... Not sure if most found success by breaking it up or not. I am grateful for your input.

Here is the "trick" to answering this question. You won't know the answer until you dig a little deeper into the ICND1 material. I have done the Cisco Networkin Academy back in 2003 and flew through it with straight As. I just started the CCENT study guide by Jeremy Ciora today and let me tell you, there is a LOT of material in these study guides and you better learn and gain a respectful appreciation for the material and fall in love with the breadth and scope first.

Here is a list of things I would thoroughly immerse yourself in and then and only then, reevaluate which test you want to go for.

First off is the OSI model and learn every protocol in the application layer, pres layer, transport layer(TCP, UDP) and then correlate which Application layer protocols are TCP AND UDP for example and remember port numbers. Then, from another thread on this site...

Get comfortable with subnetting, Solve most of the questions on subnettingquestions.com in under xx seconds.
    configuring interfaces, and RIP.

Do some labbing or work with a lab sim and get comfortable with some Show commands like:

sh ip route
    sh ip int brief
    sh int xxx
    sh ver
    sh cdp neighbors
    sh cdp entry
    no cdp enable (for an interface)
    no cdp run (For the router)

And finally, learn a bit about WAN stuff like HDLC and PPP, how to implement them and where to check to make sure that they match etc.

Do 1 or 2 practice exams and score high and THEN
    then
    and only then
    decide if you want to spend 150 on an easy exam or study some more and get the CCNA. You won't forget any of it either so don't worry about that.
    The reason I am asking you to get some success with ICND 1 material is I feel you want to do it right and get it right. You want to have strong interest and follow it up with exam success. You want to be marketable and not just half way with CCENT. I think the 1 exam is doable but it's all DEPENDENT on your talent level with the material. How comfortable you are with it.

Basically, you will need the confidence more then just enough to pass the exam, for the rest of your life so it really doesn't make if you study just enough for CCENT...but I guarantee you you don't want to decide until you get a healthy appreciation *and* fall in love with the material involved with both tests by studying for the CCENT a LOT and see how much you like it, see how much you take off and then reevaluate.

P.S.some have said the CCENT is too easy and Cisco gives it away and judging from the above list of things, don't you feel the same way? I mean subnetting, OSI model, "some" IOS commands, CDP, RIP and some basic WAN stuff. The security and Wireless, isnt all that either. Tha'ts not enough for me to take ICND1. Wait to answer you question until you feel somewhat ready for ICND1 and I bet you will decide to go for the full composite!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did and recommend the two test path. However I do feel and have heard the ICND2 part is more difficult than the composite exam. It is a better financial way of doing it too as you can break it up.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Just took the ICND1 and was pleasantly surprised on the level of difficulty. So... ICND2 must be a lot harder, in essence...

Anyway, the only advantage of CCNA composite would be to save time? And bragging rights. Mostly just bragging rights.

=D cheers!

[Edit]

amsic, 2 posts below, makes a good point.

By taking 2 exams you get more questions. So maybe it's more detailed?

no really sure, but, for your consideration =p
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My CCNA has recently expired so am keen to renew it in the near future. Just wondering what route to do. The two exams again or one. Although i haven't worked in a networking focused job before, i have retained a lot of the skills i learnt.

I can still subnet well, understand wildcard masking and all that, and have good general knowledge of switching VLANs and STP. I haven't touched much EIGRP or OSPF for a while but it wouldn't take that much time to get up to speed.

I think i would get more satisfaction out of doing the one exam. I would prob only need around a couple of months anyway.
  • Options
    amsicamsic Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have experience and practice the material on a daily basis then I would highly suggest you take the CCNA composite as you'll receive fewer questions in each area as compared to the ICND1/2. The two test path will ask you more questions in each area (~120 compared to ~60 for composite) so if you're weak in a few areas they could contribute significantly more to your score than the composite exam. Be patient, study, know (not just learn) the material, then take the composite. The end result is the same: CCNA.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I prefer the two test approach because it allows me to increment and iterate my knowledge as I study. It also allows for the best flexibility when real life comes knocking at your door.
  • Options
    gbell76gbell76 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all very much for your input... I have experience of working with Cisco, however I am a horrible test taker. So I think the two test approach will be for me (based off of the logic of the recommendations). Thank you again.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    from what ive heard it is better to break up the ccna into the two parts, especially if you do not have a lot of networking knowledge. Also by passing the icnd1 you will become ccent so that is a plus. goodluck on your studies
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    Depends on the person; if your slow at subnetting definately take the composite. I am pretty fast at subnetting and I opt'd for the composite; take one test and your done.

Has the price went up? It was $250 when I took mine but thats been 2 years.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Exam: 640-802
    Name: Cisco Certified Network Associate
    Price: $295.00

I just checked :)

Sorry. 5 bucks short of 300. So it's worth a 6' Sub from that Way. ;)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    I wouls say the 2 exam path, same reason you walk up every stairs instead of jumping the staircase. I heard with the 1 test time is a big problem and sib=nce your not saving anything why put yourself through it. Take the 1st one IF you pass take the second a week later. I said this with disagreement before but I feel you'll learn the information better this way. Then everyone feels there way is always best otherwise they wouldn't take it.

Either good luck
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Honestly if I could do it all over I'd take the composite test. The icnd1 was a breeze used chris bryants test engine for that one. A buddy gave me the boson and transcender practice test for the 640-802 I'd get 95% it was a cake walk just had to time it right figured I was ready for the icnd2. Took the icnd2 and man it was much more difficult failed the first time. It goes much more in depth. Think of it this way one big test of 40ish questions covers a little bit of everything or 2 separate tests that go more in detail.
  • Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    I found ICND1 harder than ICND2, maybe the cisco exam style just hit me hard the first time. Everyone's opinion differs on what is the hardest. One thing is common though, none of the tests are easy and you'll need to know your stuff for either composite or split exams.

Forsaken has a good point about life getting in the way. I had life interject after I got my CCENT for a couple of months. If I had been studying for the composite, I wouldn't have had any certs and would have to had started studying all over again. So, what I would say, is that unless you're intending on blowing out the CCNA in less than a month of hectic study, it's probably best to do the 2 exam route, as at least if WW3 happens or something, you'll still have CCENT passed and you gain something.
  • Options
    Reason I found ICND1 easier I made flash cards with words and definitions. My girlfriend would quiz me by saying the word and I would give the definition or explain it and she would come up with ways for me to remember for things that wouldn't stick. Certainly helped me remember the dhcp process Discovery Offer Request Acknowledgement or simpler terms DORA like the DORA the explorer :D . We did it about 5 times then I went to take the test and it was surprisingly easy.

But yea you are right with life getting in the way took me a total of a year to prepare for it dedicated a good 3 months then stopped because something came up. I then came back to it 2 months after forgot some of it had to start from scratch.. End result had to start from scratch 3 times that year due to something coming up but the last time I made sure I had to finish I missed out some opportunities without the ccna. I'd have to thank my girl she helped me get focus and pass that damn test.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Reason I found ICND1 easier I made flash cards with words and definitions. My girlfriend would quiz me by saying the word and I would give the definition or explain it and she would come up with ways for me to remember for things that wouldn't stick. Certainly helped me remember the dhcp process Discovery Offer Request Acknowledgement or simpler terms DORA like the DORA the explorer :D . We did it about 5 times then I went to take the test and it was surprisingly easy.

You sir, are a lucky man...
  • Options
    Thanks! I think it helps that she's about to finish school being a teacher. I am pretty lucky... I am going to surprise her with flowers today.