Options

Too much?

joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I want to get your opinion. After I'm done knocking out this Web Development Fundamentals class for WGU, I'll be ready to add some more classes. I've got four months left in the semester and I want to graduate after next semester. In looking at the classes I have left, I know I can get these done in four months if I set my mind to it:

Language and Communication: Research
Web Technologies
Web Programming
Organizational Behavior and Leadership
Project Management
Technical Writing

I'm not worried about that. That leaves for next semester the capstone and Microsoft classes:

70-642
70-643
70-680
70-647

Do you guys think its possible to finish all that in six months? I'm really afraid I'm going to wring myself out and end up having to pay the $3000 bucks for a fourth semester for one or two classes (microsoft exams/capstone). Which in that case, I may as well pace myself a little. My girlfriend wants me to pace myself. Personally, I want to save the extra $3000 and move on with my life. Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    What is your experience in production with the material tested on those exams? If it is anything less than extensive, it is going to be a tough six months.

What I would do in your place is start into MS now. In fact, you really have to start now. 70-643 and 70-647 expire in 12 months. I'm sure WGU will adjust as needed, but if you're going to start into the MCITP:EA track for WGU you might as well finish it. That means start now, or risk not being able to after you're 50-75% of the way done. I would say jump into 70-680, then 642, then 643, then 647. Take as long as you need. If you save the $3000, great. If you go into the third semester, oh well. Either way, start into the MS track now.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It took me the full 6 months to do the SA track, and BOV1. I won't say it's impossible, but you may be so burnt out by the time you're done that you'll regret it.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    What is your experience in production with the material tested on those exams? If it is anything less than extensive, it is going to be a tough six months.

What I would do in your place is start into MS now. In fact, you really have to start now. 70-643 and 70-647 expire in 12 months. I'm sure WGU will adjust as needed, but if you're going to start into the MCITP:EA track for WGU you might as well finish it. That means start now, or risk not being able to after you're 50-75% of the way done. I would say jump into 70-680, then 642, then 643, then 647. Take as long as you need. If you save the $3000, great. If you go into the third semester, oh well. Either way, start into the MS track now.

I've been thinking about that too. Good point.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    It took me the full 6 months to do the SA track, and BOV1. I won't say it's impossible, but you may be so burnt out by the time you're done that you'll regret it.

That's definitely feedback I was looking for. The 70-640 was a hard test, so I can see the others being equally ridiculous. I see myself getting close to finishing in that time frame but not quite making it, I think you might be right on total burn-out if I try. On the flip-side, if I do MS straight through at this point, I can wrap up the other classes without too much effort afterwards, so I think that may be the smart thing to do.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd try and get some of the MS exams done. The Project+, Org Behavior, and Web Technologies are easy - you could knock those out in a few weeks. I've read that some people did the tech writing over a long weekend. If you are on FA, it helps to have some filler classes to maintain SAP and your OTP.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    ptilsen wrote: »

This is good advice, its what came to mind while reading your post. I imagine by Jan 1 we will most likely see WGU change its program in line with the new MS exams. Start your MS track now.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's definitely feedback I was looking for. The 70-640 was a hard test, so I can see the others being equally ridiculous. I see myself getting close to finishing in that time frame but not quite making it, I think you might be right on total burn-out if I try. On the flip-side, if I do MS straight through at this point, I can wrap up the other classes without too much effort afterwards, so I think that may be the smart thing to do.

Now to be fair, that was with a single failure on the 70-642 with a 2 week break for the retest. Even with those 3 tests and BOV1 (which wasn't difficult for me due to previous experience), it was still almost more than I could handle in a 6 month time frame.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    The other option if you are really worried about the $3000 cost is to take a 2 month break between semesters, study for one or two of the microsoft certs, then request a voucher as soon as the final term starts.

You can also ask your mentor for the taskstream instructions for the capstone and start on that. My mentor had no problem giving it to me.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA