Options

Comparison 2500/2600 Switches for CCNA

JinuyrJinuyr Member Posts: 251 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am trying to shop around for switces to start working on them for my CCNA. What are the key differences if any between them? I am looking to create an environment that can be used for the CCNA, CCNA Security/Voice, and CCNP. What series of switches should I buy if I plan on getting all of the above certifications within 2 years?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

Comments

• Options
    DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    As far as switches go I would think you should probably be looking at mostly the 2950 series for your CCNA and one or two 3550s for your CCNP.

For routers I would be looking at the 2600 / 2600xm series

certificationkits.com lays out some pretty good suggestions
  • Options
    Cool, thanks. I was actually using certificationkits.com as a reference. I will be buying the parts separately though since I think I can get a better deal on it that way when I already have most of the study tools available to me.
  • Options
    Brain_PowerBrain_Power Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 163
    If you plan taking CCNA Voice, then get 3560 with PoE for phones.
  • Options
    Thanks and Yikes! Not cheap...
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    If you plan taking CCNA Voice, then get 3560 with PoE for phones.

You don't really need a PoE switch, it's just more convenient that way. All IP phones can use power bricks, but that will start to add up pretty quick and the cost of a Cat3560 will be more attractive if you plan to move onto the CCNP Voice. There are other options out there as well, a Cat3524 PoE which are MUCH cheaper.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On ebay I bought a 3550 poe for $50. If you look you could find it cheap.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    On ebay I bought a 3550 poe for $50. If you look you could find it cheap.
    I say it time and time again, you Americans are so lucky with your prices. Costs at least tripple that in the UK, I look everyday for gear and there's never a bargain.
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    oli356 wrote: »
    I say it time and time again, you Americans are so lucky with your prices. Costs at least tripple that in the UK, I look everyday for gear and there's never a bargain.

That was a steal on ebay; otherwise these are still $4k+ new with lan base IOS
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are alot of vendors selling untested AS-IS equipment cheap auction style on ebay. Its cheap because they're not sure if it does anything except for power on and the light go green. Everything i bought under the not working/for parts section unless noted that there is a issue never had an issue for me.