Options

Awesome setups thread (pics)

SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
So, we have a post your cisco lab thread, I was looking at pictures of awesome pc setups, and I thought itd be cool to put them in one place. So, post pictures of your setup, or one you wish was yours. For the setup experts, it'd be nice to get some advice on how we could build these setups on the cheap. I'll start. From: 15 Envious Home Computer Setups | inspirationfeed.com

I thought this was as good as it got.

Then I saw this:

Then there are much more realistic home office setups like this:

I've gotta get something like these. i've got about 7-8 pcs/laptops and i'd like to get a nice setup where I can have cable/gaming on its own tv, then monitors for the laptops, servers and consoling into the rack id like to build when I get back. I have a 4 port DVI but that thing... ugh...

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819

out of reach of the kids
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    TackleTackle Member Posts: 534

out of reach of the kids

Funny - I was just thinking about building something like that. If you don't mind...
    What did you use for the back plate?
    What kind of PS is that?
    What do you call the ribbon that's used for your graphics card?
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ya can get the gear at xoxide but its not mine ... i was pricing it after i saw it but it adds about $400 to the total cost to mount it like that

diamond plate works best and custom cables for the vid card and a flat screen tv mount for hanging

http://www.xoxide.com/modaccessories1.html
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Very nice, i've never seen a cable like that, very cool.

I like the coloring of the room, makes it look like you are in some kind of secure, sterile area.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This my first attempt in making a multiple monitor setup beyond triple.

baefa0a2.jpg

The monitors were working, but I took this picture in the middle of tear down so don't mind the standby modes - they were all powered by a little Optiplex 360. Yes, It was horrible. Yes, It lagged. I've had people come into my office, look and turn right around without saying a word :P Priceless.

I used stacks of postit notes, IDE harddrives, as well as retired computers to create the wall. I tried to stack a third layer of CRTs but the wall became too unstable and heavy. I opted for LCDs for longevity.

The heat that all the CRTs powered on at once made me get headaches, and the temp in the room would often reach beyond 95 degrees - in winter. I had two 80mm fans (connected to an old AT Powersupply) to push the heat around from behind the CRTs.

It only lasted a few weeks. Oh. At the back of the crt wall you can see a computer stick out - I placed a projector there :D

My current setup has LCD monitors. and a Large TV. I need a larger power supply, and then I'll recycle my 285 GTX into the mix so I can get 3 LCDs of decent power going. I'll get pictures up when I can. I've downsized the number of monitors to 8. (inc TV)
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    ^ I think sitting there for any longer than 5 minutes would make you sterile.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Mine isn't as cool as some of those but its a work in progress. I will post pics up soon when its a little closer to being done.
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice work guys, but I think in all fairness that one of the better setups that I've seen has been something like this:

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod

This is a somewhat recent image of my setup. Everything is the same except that I added another 22 inch screen onto my gaming PC. It's not as cool as some of the setups pictures but I'm happy with it. I've got four routers, three switches, three servers, a touchpad, a streaming media server for my 60 inch tv, two laptops and a gaming PC in there. My gf refuses to let me buy more toys to add onto it :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think some of those people with that many monitors daydream they are Tank in the movie the Matrix.
  • Options
    apparently a lot of programmers , poker players (running multiple tables), stock brokers, ships, security rooms... Multiple screens isn't such an oddity as before. Being able to watch more than one thing in an instant does help getting things done.

Personally, I use Computer 1 for keeping tabs on tickets, another for email, another for the company help site, and the other for IMs. Having to look between tickets, reply to them via email client, making sure that where the ticket is 'supposed' to go and all having a conversation with my boss on IM because he's juggling 2 phone calls and talking to the vp. Fun. I will often times put up the topology sheet on one of the monitors as well.

As for my personal computer, I'll put up multiple sites (30" is sweet for that), and then I'll have the two 15s with other stuff. I'll read eBooks, white papers, router sim, have winamp going. I need to procure a larger power supply for my personal computer and to power the last 15 Inch.

The TV is for another computer which I can list what needs to be done, projects, important notes about projects, meetings, conferencing. Anything that needs to be listed that I just need to glance up. I love not having to alt-tab.

Then the monitors behind me are for building images, fixing people's computers.

There's endless uses for a lot of screen space. I can see what I need to and don't need to rely on my poor memory to do it.

Or course, you could also just do gaming, and enjoy the benefits of seeing more too :P

If you're looking to build your own multiple screen setup I'd recommend a monitor program (I use UltraMonitor). There's free programs out there, but I like to pay for what I use every day, in and out. :)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/beyond_ultramon_free_software_solutions_multiple_monitors

More multiple Monitor setups:

060908_sz_24monitors.jpg

http://www.stefandidak.com/office/:
    homeoffice15.jpg
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In the SOCs I worked in the multiple monitors were setup by contractors but we ended up turning off most if not all of them. It makes cool looking promotional pictures though.
  • Options
    Iris, Wow. I just noticed your black cat in one of the pictures. It took me a second to see a pair of eyes. >.<

• Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    This my first attempt in making a multiple monitor setup beyond triple.

baefa0a2.jpg

The monitors were working, but I took this picture in the middle of tear down so don't mind the standby modes - they were all powered by a little Optiplex 360. Yes, It was horrible. Yes, It lagged. I've had people come into my office, look and turn right around without saying a word :P Priceless.

I used stacks of postit notes, IDE harddrives, as well as retired computers to create the wall. I tried to stack a third layer of CRTs but the wall became too unstable and heavy. I opted for LCDs for longevity.

The heat that all the CRTs powered on at once made me get headaches, and the temp in the room would often reach beyond 95 degrees - in winter. I had two 80mm fans (connected to an old AT Powersupply) to push the heat around from behind the CRTs.

It only lasted a few weeks. Oh. At the back of the crt wall you can see a computer stick out - I placed a projector there :D

My current setup has LCD monitors. and a Large TV. I need a larger power supply, and then I'll recycle my 285 GTX into the mix so I can get 3 LCDs of decent power going. I'll get pictures up when I can. I've downsized the number of monitors to 8. (inc TV)

lol ghetto! I would be scared to sit there icon_wink.gif
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ah yes, he's a little ninja.
    Impressive pics, Rogue
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    Aren't 4 screens a little overkill? I just switch work-spaces for all these different needs. You can do it Windows too I think. That's just me. Staring at 4 screens after awhile would make my eyes hurt icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well you usually stare at one at a time..... :D
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    What networker said. If I think about it, I really just glance at the information, as I already know what is where in my field of neck motion. It takes me a second to glance up at my tickets, email, topology, im. I can look at GNS3 topologies, white papers, all the white have my CLI open - all while not needing to worry that I missed a ticket.

It's a split second to glance. I don't have to find the right window, then the tab. I used to use more than one browser because of compatibility issues with internal websites, for example. Couple with everything on one screen it was just a mess and a hassle. I spent a lot of time swapping windows than actually doing what I wanted to do and get done.

I'm trying to upload what is my current setup but photobuckets is down currently. I used imgurl instead:

W17SJ.jpg
    vR3kN.jpg

• Options
    Novalith478Novalith478 Member Posts: 151
    This is true, I guess it really comes down to personal preference and what one is used to.
  • Options
    Im just saying, all these setups are sexy. And I love how we just happen to have a backtrack screen up when we take our pics, or a certification book :p
  • Options
    My current setup - just moved into a new place - and as it happens, yes Seph, I am looking through IEEE standards as part of an assignment for my uni course.

• Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I really like Mitch's office at office faq

Klein's older setups were better imo~ Home Office « klein2 but at least this is the website that got me to think about certification =p

Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    i'll have to see if i got pics of my setup on my pc. all i have right now are pics of my old cert book collection. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    @Roguetadhg - I loved how you used towers for monitor/speaker stands!
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Options
    @MickQ, I like the fireplace. Is it real? Need to buy you a bankers lamp for the classy "Library" feel!

@Patel128, It's a heck of a lot cheaper than using a quad monitor stand. Honestly, I'd rather have the stand. It'll look more professional, and it scratches my OCD nerve.

33-096-200_sm.jpg

The one thing I dislike about having so many screens is that the color differences are really off. My top-left monitor is warmest (Kelvin/Color) wise than the coolest bottom left. I'll need to buy a monitor calibrator - which can be a problem with multiple monitors.

Keeping the thread alive... With Macs and Bill Gates - In the same thread. I'm evil.

Source: Multi-Monitor Roundup #2 | Creative Home Offices

dual-screen-6.jpg
    dual-screen-1.jpeg
    dual-screen-2.jpeg
    dual-screen-3.jpeg
    dual-screen-4.jpg
    dual-screen-5.jpeg
    dual-screen-7.jpeg
    multi-monitor-8.jpg
    multi-monitor-9.jpg
    Bill-Gates-office-and-multi-monitors-from-Wall-Street-Journal-video-in-2007_cropped.jpg

• Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    A semi-recent picture of my setup...
  • Options
    the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    The SOCOM Joint Communications Unit airplane...
    jcu.JPG 30.3K
  • Options
  • Options
    @Rogue: Thanks man. A banker's lamp would do quite nicely, or one of those nice aluminium ones you have. I love the screen on case style, too. Cheap, but effective. How about this for a quad mount for your good self?
    Yep, the fireplace is real. That was it burning a combination of wood and peat at the time. I'll be getting a stove soon before the autumn and winter comes. Need to get some proper heat into this place - it's about 200 years old and can get fairly damp.

@Novalith: I have 3 screens at work for monitoring and working. I still need more!!!

Seems like we all have some nice kit around the place. :D