Options

Open source back up software

w00tw00t Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am doing some research and trying to find a similar program such as Norton Ghost but trying to see if there is a open source or cheaper product that works out ok for workstations. I've tried a handful of them and they all seem to be flakey to me at this point and not very reliable. Also, is there any paid for server back up programs you could suggest? And this will be typically for XP,7, and server 2003/2008.

Comments

• Options
    AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you tried Clonezilla ?
    Clonezilla - About
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Are you trying to duplicate disks or just backup/restore your important data?
  • Options
    KenCKenC Member Posts: 131
    I've tried a handful of them and they all seem to be flakey to me at this point and not very reliable

List what you have tried and what exactly you did not like.
  • Options
    Backup/restore data. I have the duplicate disk part taken care of.
  • Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Win7 and 2008R2 have decent back-up utilities built in. We use storegrid for most of our important server back-ups, it works really well, not cheap, but not super expensive either.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    w00t wrote: »
    I am doing some research and trying to find a similar program such as Norton Ghost but trying to see if there is a open source or cheaper product that works out ok for workstations. I've tried a handful of them and they all seem to be flakey to me at this point and not very reliable. Also, is there any paid for server back up programs you could suggest? And this will be typically for XP,7, and server 2003/2008.

Look up open source solutions called Amanda and zManda.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Win7 and 2008R2 have decent back-up utilities built in. We use storegrid for most of our important server back-ups, it works really well, not cheap, but not super expensive either.

I like the looks of those... I'm going to check those out, seems like a solid product.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    Depending on the number of workstations you are trying to back up you can also just write an rcopy script.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    Clonezilla is the open source equivalent to Ghost. But that's disk duplication. So as petedude pointed out, Amada and/or Backula come to mind.

Have a look here:
    List of backup software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers