Options

Starting with 70-640

piraderpirader Registered Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

i'm new to the world of certificates, but i just got confirmation from my boss that i can follow as many microsoft certificates as i want to do icon_cheers.gif

I'm thinking of starting with the MCITP w2008: SA and continue from there on.

I'm planning on using the guide from CBT Nuggets, got the microsoft press MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit for my exams and the cybex books comming my way this week. icon_cheers.gif

Basically i'm looking for advice on what client OS to use for my labbing.icon_redface.gif
Windows XP or Windows 7.

Also how much time did you guys spend learning all of the courses for the MCITP w2008 SA certificate?

Kind regards,

Pirader

Comments

• Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would use Windows 7. As more time goes on XP will become less and less relevant as companies are switching from XP to 7. Also check out this site itfreetraining.com as another study resource. Its free videos and may help in some area where the others missed.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would go with Windows 7 Professional or above. XP is going by the wayside as far as certifications are concerned, and with Windows 7 Pro or above, you can use it with RSAT and other tools in your labs.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    Allright thanks for the info!

I just finished lesson 1 from the sybex book and it's looking really good. the book's keeping me interessted and has a nice way of bringing the lessons to you.

How much do you guys study every week?
    I'm planning on doing 2-3 hours a night on week days and maybe 4 hours per day during the weekends.

I'm hoping to be able to complete this first certificate by the end of this year.
    Is this a reasonable deadline that i'm giving myself or do you guys think it's going to be too much/too tough/... to be able to complete this by the end of december.

Kind regards,

Pirader
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    if you can stick to that much study time you should be fine.

My advice from some one who recently failed the test, Lab, lab, lab way more then either book has for labs.

There are tons of resources here for the test too, but again labing it all out with be your best bet.
  • Options
    EverlifeEverlife Member Posts: 253 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would use both an XP and a Windows 7 client if you're able. Assuming you're using some type of VM, the XP machine could be devoted as little as 256MB of RAM. Playing with both will help reinforce some of the new capabilities of 7 over its predecessors.
  • Options
    Everlife wrote: »
    I would use both an XP and a Windows 7 client if you're able. Assuming you're using some type of VM, the XP machine could be devoted as little as 256MB of RAM. Playing with both will help reinforce some of the new capabilities of 7 over its predecessors.

Allright, thanks for the tip!
    I'll be setting up 1 XP machine (Ram is a non-issue for me) and around 6 Windows 7 machines and 3-4 windows 2008 servers ( both normal and server core)

Would this be sufficient to get a full grown lab to work with?

Kind regards,

Pirader
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Looks good, I dont think you will have problems till you reach AD FS and CS with this setup
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Looks good, I dont think you will have problems till you reach AD FS and CS with this setup

how many servers should i be setting up so i'll be having no issues at all? :) i can set up a max of 20 VM's at a time. So i believe that should cover everything? :)
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    approx 10 should be enough me thinks. Anything more then try to play with AD FS features :) important for exam too
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]