Options

Fully qualified domain name

hassantalal785hassantalal785 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Well i have read about FQDN in a couple of books and websites but i am still un able to understand that what is its advantage ? Secondly is domain-name command in Cisco IOS related to it as well ?Kindly explain in simple terms .

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Well i have read about FQDN in a couple of books and websites but i am still un able to understand that what is its advantage ? Secondly is domain-name command in Cisco IOS related to it as well ?Kindly explain in simple terms .

Are you asking what FQDN is and when it's used? In the lab environment you won't have an FQDN unless you have your own active directory/dns. In the live environment FQDN is something like host.domain.com or router01.domain.com or switch01.domain.com...

Cisco IOS IP Command Reference, Volume 1 of 4: Addressing and Services, Release 12.3 - IP Addressing and Services Commands: idle through ip local-proxy-arp* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.3 Mainline] - Cisco Systems
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    You'll run into FQDM stuff with Microsoft. and JeanM is right. When you set up Active Directory you create a domain. for this post i'll use mycompanyrocks.local then every object in active directory FQDM is Server01.mycompanyrocks.local, jsmith.mycompanyrocks.local etc.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Don't worry about MS or AD, its just a complete DNS name. So for instance you want to be able to telnet to your router by its name rather than IP you need an entry in DNS to reach the device. The fully qualified domain name would be router.mycompany.com.

The domain name in the router configuration is what the device will use to complete names that are not fully qualified. For example you want to telnet to router 'r2' from your router. You can either do a telnet to r2.mycompany.com or you can add the domain name mycompany.com to your router and be able to telnet directly to r2 and the router will automaticly use the mycompany.com domain.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    hassantalal785hassantalal785 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□

The domain name in the router configuration is what the device will use to complete names that are not fully qualified. For example you want to telnet to router 'r2' from your router. You can either do a telnet to r2.mycompany.com or you can add the domain name mycompany.com to your router and be able to telnet directly to r2 and the router will automaticly use the mycompany.com domain.
    This means that using FQDN enables me to telnet or access my other router (or a PC) by just writing its domain name instead of IP and FQDN would resolve the domain name for me which i have configured in the router ?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name

You don't configure this on the router, you configure this on your DNS server to map the IP of your router to the name. You can then use the FQDN to reach the device.

A bit of light reading on DNS will probably clear this up for you easier than trying to look at it from a strictly Cisco point of view.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name

You don't configure this on the router, you configure this on your DNS server to map the IP of your router to the name. You can then use the FQDN to reach the device.

A bit of light reading on DNS will probably clear this up for you easier than trying to look at it from a strictly Cisco point of view.

What they said.

Think of DNS as a database, IP addresses vs. Human Friendly names...... FQDN has nothing to do with Cisco only.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.