Options

Where to start with MS certs

glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, i'm pretty confused on where to start with the Microsoft certs. Back in 2007 I went to computertraining.com (terrible mistake)
I remember the course was laid out for you to get your MCP, MCSA and MCSE in 6 months which is extremely hard for anyone who doesn't have much IT experience. Anyway, here we are in 2012 and I see some of the certs have changed. I know the MCP was your basic Microsoft cert and you can kind of work your way up to MCSA or MCSE. I guess my question is, where do I start now? I see the MCITP and MCTS. After I get my Security+ I'd like to work on Microsoft certs but I just have no idea where to start icon_scratch.gif
If anyone could point me in the right direction that'd be great!
A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec

Comments

• Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It really depends on what your near term goals are. If you are looking for entry level IT helpdesk/desktop type of work, go for the 70-680 first, then the 70-685 or 70-686 to get your MCITP. If you are looking at network based work, you'd probably be better served going for the CCENT first.
  • Options
    I was interested in Cisco but I'm absolutely terrified of subnetting.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Jump in with both feet and take 70-640. You'll find out right away if you have the chops to be a server admin. What's to be afraid of with subnetting? If you can add 128 + 64 + 32 or subtract 256 - 16 in your head, you can do subnetting.

The progression for MS tests going forward is going to be 70-640, 642, 646. This gets you the MCITP:SA/MCSA 2008 designation.
    From there you choose a path (SQL, Virtualization, Enterprise Admin) and take 1-2 exams to get your MCSE 2012 designation.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Microsoft Tests are extremely difficult. Start off with some MTA's like I did and then prepare for the advance level stuff. There's a great certification path that im following on microsoft site.
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    If you're looking to get your feet wet with Microsoft, go for any of the MTA certs. They are very easy. I took and passed 3 of them without studying, and this was before I started working, so all the experience I had was from other certs and labbing. Like I said, VERY easy.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    4_lom wrote: »
    If you're looking to get your feet wet with Microsoft, go for any of the MTA certs. They are very easy. I took and passed 3 of them without studying, and this was before I started working, so all the experience I had was from other certs and labbing. Like I said, VERY easy.

ditto....
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:

• Options
    I've looked over the MTA exams, the MTA Networking looks similar to the Network+. I don't wan to sound stupid or anything, but should I bother taking the Networking fundamentals if I already have my Net+? I see the path from MTA Networking to Security then to either Server or Windows and then MCTS..they just seem similar to the comptia exams, that's all....icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    you should be able to pass MTA- networking fundamentals fairly easy if you have network+, you should take all 3 if you want the microsoft foundations.

• Options
    kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    glenn_33 wrote: »
    I've looked over the MTA exams, the MTA Networking looks similar to the Network+. I don't wan to sound stupid or anything, but should I bother taking the Networking fundamentals if I already have my Net+? I see the path from MTA Networking to Security then to either Server or Windows and then MCTS..they just seem similar to the comptia exams, that's all....icon_eek.gif

I wouldn't overlook the MTAs. They mainly focus on subjects from a Microsoft point of view, while the Network+ is vendor neutral.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!