Options

Comptia A+ CCNA --- no experience career path

Cubuntu28Cubuntu28 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was hoping someone could give me a general idea of a career path with the above mentioned certs in the title. I have a strong interest in Networking, and of course I would love to some day become a Network Engineer, but what are some positions to apply to before landing my dream job? I am very aware that like anything in like nothing is written in stone, and there is a plethora of different jobs one could have before becoming a Network Engineer, but if someone could just entertain me with maybe the career path they took. Like for example first: Help Desk second: etc....

icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 891 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you can get a help desk or a tier 1/2 network engineer support position, it would probably be a good start. Your problem is going to be your experience, but it shouldn't preclude you from a position
  • Options
    techdudeheretechdudehere Member Posts: 164
    If you want to do networking, I doubt years of help desk is going to be the best route. Do VOIP installs/support, apply at NOCs, take short term contracts, apply at an ISP. You may have to start at the bottom, laying or testing cable even and keep working your way up. If nothing works out, find a way to talk directly to people who can let you touch their networks such as business owners and managers, tell them you're not an idiot, completed your CCNA, want to learn and can give them a hand and perhaps they may consider you should an opening arise. If you do take a helpdesk or DST job, make it known that you are really studying and into networking. Take over even the smallest networking tasks. Before long people will just begin to expect you to take over certain networking tasks.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I agree with Techdudethere

If you want to go networking, get networking jobs.
    NOC is a great way to get you started.
    meh