Options

MCITP: EA to Windows Server 2012

fluk3dfluk3d Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am one exam away from getting my MCITP: EA however; is there an upgrade path for the Server 2012 certifications? I'm trying to browse the site and I am a little confused as I don't see that as an eligible upgrade cert.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Comments

• Options
    That's what is throwing me off when I look at the section need to upgrade your certification.. I don't see Enterprise Administrator listed there I only see Enterprise messaging & desktop
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ah, sorry. I misread that. I found this in the FAQ:
    Q. I have an MCITP on Windows Server 2008 certification. How can I upgrade to an MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification?

A.
    Customers who have achieved an MCITP on Windows Server 2008 certification will be able to earn an MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification by passing three exams. To upgrade from an MCITP: Enterprise Administrator 2008 certification or an MCITP: Server Administrator 2008 certification to the MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification, candidates must pass Exams 70-417, 70-413, and 70-414. To upgrade from an MCITP: Enterprise Administrator 2008 certification or an MCITP: Server Administrator 2008 certification to the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification, candidates must pass Exams 70-417, 70-415, and 70-416.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Ah, sorry. I misread that. I found this in the FAQ:
    Q. I have an MCITP on Windows Server 2008 certification. How can I upgrade to an MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification?

A.
    Customers who have achieved an MCITP on Windows Server 2008 certification will be able to earn an MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification by passing three exams. To upgrade from an MCITP: Enterprise Administrator 2008 certification or an MCITP: Server Administrator 2008 certification to the MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification, candidates must pass Exams 70-417, 70-413, and 70-414. To upgrade from an MCITP: Enterprise Administrator 2008 certification or an MCITP: Server Administrator 2008 certification to the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification, candidates must pass Exams 70-417, 70-415, and 70-416.

Nice thank you.. seems like three exams I was hoping for 1 or 2 exams :)
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Me too. What a pain but I'll probably do it anyways after I get done with my MCITP:EA and CCNP. Microsoft exams are the most boring ones for me to study for but I like having my knowledge up to date.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    sheesh more exams. Microsoft doesn't play huh...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • Options
    Me too. What a pain but I'll probably do it anyways after I get done with my MCITP:EA and CCNP. Microsoft exams are the most boring ones for me to study for but I like having my knowledge up to date.

I agree I'm working on my CCNP and I noticed that this exam expires July 2013 and server 2012 is coming out fairly soon I better get up to speed and get back on the Cisco track
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Guys, please don't scare me like this. I am relying on the single exam upgrade for 2012 as I do not have the budget this year for anything else.

Note: If you have an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification, you may take Exam 417 to upgrade to the MCSA: Windows Server 2012.
    Exams 413, 414, and 417 are currently unavailable; please check back later this year for more information. This MCSE certification requires candidates to show continued ability to perform in their chosen solution area by completing a recertification exam every three years.
    Plus
    Q. I'm part way through my MCITP on Windows Server 2008. Should I finish it, or should I wait for the new exams to release for the MCSE certifications?

A.
    If you are close to achieving an MCITP on Windows Server 2008, we encourage you to complete your certification, and then you can take advantage of a shorter path to upgrade your certification to the MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification. By achieving multiple certifications, you show continued dedication to learning new skills and you increase your value to your organization.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    Guys, please don't scare me like this. I am relying on the single exam upgrade for 2012 as I do not have the budget this year for anything else.

Note: If you have an MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification, you may take Exam 417 to upgrade to the MCSA: Windows Server 2012.
    Exams 413, 414, and 417 are currently unavailable; please check back later this year for more information. This MCSE certification requires candidates to show continued ability to perform in their chosen solution area by completing a recertification exam every three years.
    Plus
    Q. I'm part way through my MCITP on Windows Server 2008. Should I finish it, or should I wait for the new exams to release for the MCSE certifications?

A.
    If you are close to achieving an MCITP on Windows Server 2008, we encourage you to complete your certification, and then you can take advantage of a shorter path to upgrade your certification to the MCSE: Server Infrastructure certification or the MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure certification. By achieving multiple certifications, you show continued dedication to learning new skills and you increase your value to your organization.

I think you may be right. If I look @ this site it states, "Your MCITP certification will still continue to be valid until Microsoft’s mainstream support for the technology ceases. If you currently hold a MCITP Server Administrator or MCITP Enterprise Administrator certification you will automatically be awarded with a new MCSA Windows Server 2008 as you have already passed all required exams for this."

http://www.mcitpguide.com/new-mcse-and-mcsa-certifications/

Then it that case it would require one exam upgrade
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Just to clarify, MCSA 2008 (or any of the 5 listed MCITPs) + 70-417 will give you MCSA 2012.

If you want to go for the MCSE: Server Infrastructure from MCITP:EA, then you need 70-417, 70-413 and 70-414.

The OP made reference to MCITP:EA so I'm assuming he is looking for it's equivalent, MCSE: Server infrastructure in which case he will be in the same boat I am needing the 3 exams listed above.

Fluk3d's scenario of one exam is just for obtaining the MCSA, not the MCSE.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fluk3d wrote: »
    I think you may be right. If I look @ this site it states, "Your MCITP certification will still continue to be valid until Microsoft’s mainstream support for the technology ceases. If you currently hold a MCITP Server Administrator or MCITP Enterprise Administrator certification you will automatically be awarded with a new MCSA Windows Server 2008 as you have already passed all required exams for this."

http://www.mcitpguide.com/new-mcse-and-mcsa-certifications/

Then it that case it would require one exam upgrade
    It's one exam to upgrade from MCITP to MCSA: 2012. 3 to go from MCITP to MCSE: Infrastructure or 2 to go to MCSE: Private Cloud.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    yup that sounds about right, just one more info to add to the heady mix. If you want MCSE Private Cloud Until January 31, 2013, Exam 70-659 may be taken in place of 70-247 to count towards the Private Cloud certification.
    The Caveat is the Private Cloud certification requires candidates to show continued ability to perform in this technology area by completing a recertification exam every three years.
    All I can say is "Yippee"
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to clarify here, there is no upgrade path for EA specifically. However, by passing EA, you automatically obtain MCSA 2008, from which there is an upgrade path. The only downside here is that having EA over SA does not provide a shorter upgrade path. By comparison, MCSE 2003 has an upgrade exam (70-649) for 2008 that is different from MCSA (70-64icon_cool.gif, so MCSE 2003 owners were not in the same boat as MCSA owners for upgrading to MCITP:EA.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340