Options

white boards for the computer

Does anyone know what writing tablets the online instructors like Jeremy Ciora, etc use to white board on the computer. I am looking for something to white board on the computer there are many different options not sure whats good or not?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Does anyone know what writing tablets the online instructors like Jeremy Ciora, etc use to white board on the computer. I am looking for something to white board on the computer there are many different options not sure whats good or not?

Thanks in advance

Well, as soon as I love necroposting, I will add some info on the topic.

There's nothing at all special in software Jeremy is using.

He paints in Corel Painter, I think the version is 10, maybe different.

He records all this in Camtasia Studio, there is an option there to record a fixed area of a desktop. That's why Jeremy shoves different windows in and out of the area being recorded.

He used Terra Term for telnetting, not sure what now, afair he switched to SecureCRT, but I'm not sure. Anyway, if you are planning to go to the bottom and try CCIE one day, you need to work with SecureCRT, because this is what you have to use at CCIE lab.

So, nothing close to a "custom made software", some people just can't leave without a bit of mistery, can they?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    its odd but ivs used ms paint on full screen with a stylus .... i call it the IT getto/cheap way
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Figured he uses a writing tablet/board hence why I mentioned Jeremy. To clarify, I'm looking for some sort of writing tablet or board that lets me write on diagrams on the pc. I do use securecrt at work I swear by it.
  • Options
    demonfurbie. What kind of stylus did you use and was it for the computer?
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I teach English online part-time, thus can share a bit of experience.

The tablet I have is the Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch. active area is about 4x6

What it can do:
    - draw squiggly lines way better than mouses can

What it can't do:
    - improve your handwriting... = =

so yea... i use it to just circle things, draw lines, point stuff out.

But to actually write, i still use the textbox selection tool.

Let me know if you have other questions about that particular tablet or usage experience. =)
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've a (much) more expensive Hitachi interactive tablet when giving presentations where I need to make accurate drawings, or teaching.
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    @MickQ Thats an awesome tablet. How much did that sucker cost? I hate it when companies hide prices...
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got it a few years ago. I'm also in the AV trade, so I'd have to find out off my supplier on Monday. Probably looking at about €1500, ex.VAT maybe? ;)
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    wow, nice tablet!

that's kinda like a Cyntiq, but portable! =p
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the input I know what to look for and think i'll lean towards either the wacom capture or pen
  • Options
    onesaintonesaint Member Posts: 801
    I have a wacom graphire 4 on my desktop and my older laptop is a Fujitsu convertible with a Wacom tablet integrated into the screen. I've also tried things like the Acecad tablet. In all honesty you're best bet is to whiteboard and scan into some OCR software (like evernote with an addon). Like @mapletune mentioned, none of these solutions will make the handwriting close to normal. If you find the bamboo to be like that, you might check out the Inkling.
    Work in progress: picking up Postgres, elastisearch, redis, Cloudera, & AWS.
    Next up: eventually the RHCE and to start blogging again.

Control Protocol; my blog of exam notes and IT randomness