Options

Static Routing

hassantalal785hassantalal785 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
While we configure static routes in a router , we can use both a INTERFACE name like s0/1/1 Or an IP Address as the next hop entity(outbound).I mean in the syntax <R1-config>ip route 192.168.0.5 255.255.255.0 X , I am refering to "X".
I understand that usually "X" is set as interface if serial point to point link is used and an IP address is used for multi access link (Ethernet,frame relay etc).
I don't understand why we use each i.e interface name and IP address for each state ?

Comments

• Options
    MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When we can do routing (routers, L3 switches like 3560+), we can use IP addresses, but what if you don't have a route to the network in your table? There's the default route (0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 int s0/1) to shove it out an interface - any interface or subinterface, independent of point to point, broadcast, or NBMA.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    MickQ wrote: »
    I don't understand why we use each i.e interface name and IP address for each state

In general, it's poor form to point a static (or default static) route at a broadcast interface, because that will result in the device sending a bunch of (proxy) ARP traffic. This is inefficient and may overload the router. Use the next-hop address on broadcast interfaces when possible.