Mom Arrested for Hacking School Computer-A sign of changing times?

pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
While surfing the web found an interesting article

Mom Arrested for Hacking School Computer, Changing Grades

Seems like a tech savvy mom in this case "hacked" into her kiddies school computer and changed the grades.

Reading between the lines was a big let down for me. I was thinking techno music/multiple keyboard and displays aka something like Swordfish Movie....

Sadly disappointed icon_redface.gif

She was working for the school earlier, most likely the authorities didn't bother to change the password.

Being in the IT sector kind of makes me think of the times we live in and the media coverage/hype these issues get
[h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]

Comments

• PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was in High school a student found a file with all the Social Security #'s of all the students on it. He was dumb enough to copy it onto a flash drive and tell everyone what he did.

I bet that mom most likey had some kind of vpn access to the internal network
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Poor article. She changed 2 grades and her "hacking" consisted of utilizing other people's password she already knew. And one of the grades changed (both were her kids) was a 98 to a 99. Totally worth it........
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Regardless of the actual method used, from an infosec perspective, this highlights that it is not necessary to have sophisticated skills to breach the security.

Most times it's the lack of the basic block and tackling that many organizations do not perform which result in these types of incidents.

pumbaa_g indicated, this could have been prevented by the most basic access control of "did you change the passwords" or setting entitlements correctly.

As an infosec and risk management professional, I find it so frustrating that simple basic controls which are not cost-prohibitive sometimes do not get deployed.
  • LinuxRacrLinuxRacr Member Posts: 653 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Totally agree.
    My WGU B.S. IT - Security Progress : Transferred In|Remaining|In Progress|Completed
    AGC1, CLC1, GAC1, INC1, CTV1, INT1, BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, QLT1, HHT1, QBT1, BBC1 (39 CUs), (0 CUs) (0 CUs)
    WFV1, BNC1, EAV1, EBV1, COV1 | MGC1, IWC1 | CQV1, CNV1, IWT1, RIT1 | DRV1, DSV1, TPV1, CVV1 | EUP1, EUC1, DHV1| CUV1, C173 | BOV1, CJV1, TXP1, TXC1 | TYP1, TYC1, SBT1, RGT1 (84 CUs) DONE!