Options

Most complete Subnetting method?

beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been off and on this forum for a while but I was just wondering if someone could suggest the most COMPLETE subnetting method. I've seen a lot that seem to be more advanced or they dont cover the basics and leave out a lot of stuff. I have the Todd Lammle book and CBT nuggets. I am currently preparing for CCENT. I have also seen a few videos on line, I think it was one called subnetting made easy on youtube but do you need to know some basic subnetting stuff first for that? Anyway just want to get some feedback. I plan on using subnettingquestions.com to practice with also.

Comments

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    The most complete subnetting method is learning binary. Forget the tricks, once you learn binary no other method matters, so do it right the first time. I am not sure which subnetting method CBT or Lammle uses, but I know Odom & Bryant both go by binary math. Once you learn binary math, it is impossible to miss a subnetting question unless you simply settle for a wrong answer.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I followed Lammle's method and within a few hours of practice (probably 10) I was able to complete any subnetting problem in my head. No tricks, no games. Memorize the powers of 2, know the block sizes for each CIDR.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Thanks so much guys, yea I remember years ago I took the test twice but did not pass, one thing I do remember though is I used the Lammle book the second time andgot all of the subnetting questions correct. I'm thinking if I can master the subnetting I may just do the one test approach. I have taken classes and has had some hands on experience with routers in the class. Right now I have Packet Tracer. Thanks again.
  • Options
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online is a great resource to improve your subnetting skills. You need to be pretty good and subnetting in your head without a calculator if you want to not struggle with it on the CCENT/CCNA exams. Good luck with whichever route you choose.
  • Options
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online is a great resource to improve your subnetting skills. You need to be pretty good and subnetting in your head without a calculator if you want to not struggle with it on the CCENT/CCNA exams. Good luck with whichever route you choose.

Thanks I appreciate your help.
  • Options
    You are welcome. If you get stuck on a problem post it so we can help you. It's important to work through every subnetting problem you can't answer so that you understand it fully.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another tip--do learn to calculate 'unusual' subnets per subnettingquestions, but also strive to solve real-world subnetting question with as little calculation as possible. That leads to higher speed and accuracy, and those also tend to be the sort you mostr often encounter on exams. A good example of what I mean is provided by another CCNA thread in this forum--

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/79769-icnd1-subnetting-question-im-not-completely-understanding-help.html
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I get class B and A subnets wrong, or get them right with educated guesses but thats because im getting to grips with the block sizes being added to the right octet depending on the class, and not starting from the left.

Apart from that, Class C I could do in seconds. Block sizes are key, once you know how to get the block size, and its not hard to learn how...subnetting gets easy. Its only hard because it can be so unfamiliar.
  • Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    What exactly do you mean by block sizes?

I know how to subnet, just don't know what they mean :p
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think he's referring to block sizes are subnet ranges, see the attached. 1st bit from the left - range (or block size is 12icon_cool.gif, 2nd is 64, etc...etc...

hth
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CarlSaiyed wrote: »
    ...Memorize the powers of 2, know the block sizes for each CIDR.

What he said. It also helps immensely if you know the common subnet mask values. I.e., 0, 128, 192, 224, 240 248 252, 254, 255.
  • Options
    Another tip--do learn to calculate 'unusual' subnets per subnettingquestions, but also strive to solve real-world subnetting question with as little calculation as possible. That leads to higher speed and accuracy, and those also tend to be the sort you mostr often encounter on exams. A good example of what I mean is provided by another CCNA thread in this forum--

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/79769-icnd1-subnetting-question-im-not-completely-understanding-help.html

Thanks so much, I feel you need to be ready for any type of subnetting question/scenario. I'm checking out the Todd Lammle method now. He has some real good questions in his book and they cover different angles. This is probably the hardest part for me. After I get this down I may go through some videos, do lots of labbing and use the boson exam max test.