Options

CCENT to CCNA

txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone, I was just curious how long it took for you to go from your CCENT to your CCNA. Also what are some books everyone has been using. I'm almost done with Todd Lammles 7th Ed and am looking for something else. I also have CBT Nuggets as well as Train Signals CCNA vids.

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I took the two path route to CCNA. Spent about 6 months on and off with my CCENT studies. I used the Lammle book. After I got my CCENT, I spent the next 31 days, everyday, studying for my CCNA, again using the Lammle book.

In addition to CBT and TS videos, I also used the VTC.com videos as well. Just one word of advice, do all the labs until you can do them in your sleep. Know all the ways to get same information. For example, do you know at least three different ways to get an IP address? I know five ways to get an IP address.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The amount of time comes down to how much time you put into it. Also, if you're familiar with the topics or not.

I spent 3 months for ent, 3 months for na, had life make it an on-off thing. That and procrastination :)

I used Boson NetSim 8 (Not recommended), Boson Exam Sim (Recommended). CBTnuggets, Trainsignal, INE... A lot of resources. Just the one book though.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Currently studying for the CCNA here as well. I'm shooting for 6 weeks from CCENT to CCNA =p Let you guys know if i actually meet my goal!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    The CCENT is relatively narrow, the CCNA is relatively broad.

Get ready to spend lots of time at a Cisco command line, and. . . learn your routing protocols. Keep an eye out for picky little stuff in all areas (like cable pinouts) that could get thrown at you when you least expect it.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    Wendell Odom books are the most detailed books you can get for ICND1 and 2. Also INE are giving their CCNA video series away for free now on their site (you just have to register).

I think Chris Bryant said it in one of his videos, that the best thing you can do, is go out now and book a date for your exam. It's a really good motivator and worked well for me.
  • Options
    txraider09txraider09 Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's exactly what I did with the CCENT. I set a date a used it as motivation. Worked pretty well.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    I think when you get over the CCENT hump it gives you more motivation to finish the CCNA. I passed the CCENT back in June and I've got ICND2 scheduled for the 31st of this month. I've been studying basically every day since i passed ICND1, with the exception for a few days when i was training for Warrior Dash.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It took me 3 months to go from a CCENT to a CCNA. It was quite a big step up for me as involves a lot more labbing. I used Chris Bryant, CBT nuggets, router alley guide by Aaron B. I hardly used Odom's book because it was caked in errors. They even sent me a brand new revised version in the post as a good will gesture for all the errors (it was a well known fact that the first revision had errors. Odom emailed me saying it was the publisher's fault) but even the new revision had some errors in it.

I have been non stop studing since January last year. I'm now working on my CCNP but after the route exam (hopefully this week!!) is over I need a break. I have had my health suffer badly as a result of my compulsion to keep going. A good break is what anyone should factor in. Sadly i ignored my own advice and am now paying for it
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.