Options

My 2507 Router

Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I want to know what kind of work/study I can do since I brought a 2507 router from eBay? I also received the console port and USB to COM converter today and look to purchase two more routers and one switch in the coming weeks. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    oli356oli356 Member Posts: 364
    1 router - learn iOS
    2:- not much
    3:- play with routing protocols :p
    Lab:
    Combination of GNS3 and Cisco equipment if required.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    you can move around the ios a little bit. set ip addresses/hostname/telnet/ssh/ maybe use the SDM(idk if the 2507 supports the SDM) basic stuff and get use to the command line. To see stuff in action you need at least 2 routers and you'll need at least 2 switches as well for spanning tree. 3 routers and 3 switches is the best value for a lab anything more then that is over kill. once you pass the 3 Switch/Router level you can see what a bigger routing table or spanning tree setup looks like but i don't think its cost effective for the CCENT/CCNA level. make sure you get enough serial cards/cable to do the WAN connections
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    I have a 2514, which is kinda similar to your router.

imo, if you got a good deal for it, then it's a great intro Cisco equipment.

Apart from what others mentioned, the best thing about a physical router as opposed to simulation is that you can practice tweaking with config registers (but carefully!), recover passwords, backing up IOS ver, and updating IOS images. It's a lot of fun playing with real hardware.

Unfortunately, depending on the memory limitations of your 2507, you may or may not be able to use an IOS version with crypto. Nothing major. And no SDM for 2500's either.

Remember that 2507's ethernet ports are HUB ports. Thus, they are half-duplex by nature.

Hope you have fun in Ciscoland!
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you came here first before firing it up, you're doing it wrong. :)

Google yourself a beginners guide or two and get going.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    +1 to alan. Your plan of action should be to plug in and navigate until you hit a roadblock. The IOS is a simple, yet powerful OS and there are many resources abound to help you understand the ins and outs. One router will help you learn the syntax and basic operations within IOS, however you will need at the very least two routers to get the ball rolling when it comes to understanding basic routing protocols.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Alhaji265Alhaji265 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    If you came here first before firing it up, you're doing it wrong. :)

Google yourself a beginners guide or two and get going.

Who wouldn't set up the router and fire away after waiting for the pieces to come.in? I feel like the man having it, even though its one router. :)