Options

Ccna - 2610xm

Angelos_nAngelos_n Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Lurker here and decided to get a bit more active.... anyway ive been offered 3 * 2610XM with maxed memory 32/128 for about £130/$200 and was wondering whether this would be what i need for the lab im building, i already have 2 * 3750 so i dont think i need any more for now, will probs pick up 2 * 3560 when studying for CCNP, but with CCNA do i take the 3 2610XM's or do i need different routers.

Regards

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Cisco 2610XM & 2620XM Router
    This is a great choice for many reasons. First it supports 12.4(only the XM series of the 2600 routers support 12.4. The normal 2600 series does not). Second it also supports SDM. Third, it is a 100mb router! These are usually the basis for your SDM training. One thing to note, in the normal 2600 series, the 2610 router is a 10mb router. In the XM series the 2610XM is a 100mb router. This sometimes confuses students.
    from CCNA Certification: CCNA, Cisco certification, Cisco routers, Cisco switches, Ci

I don't know about the price, but I've been led to believe that 2610xm are the best value for CCNA and even CCNP. You get 12.4, ipv6, SDM, 100mb int for ROAS, etc.

Too bad they are too expensive here in Taiwan's 2nd hand market... = =
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    What im really asking is, is there any reason to get 2611Xm or 2621Xm instead of the 2610XM, is there anythign i cant do with them?
  • Options
    mapletunemapletune Member Posts: 316
    Well... the only difference I see between 2610/2620xm vs 2611/2621xm is that the 26*1xm have 2x 100mb interface instead of 26*0xm having only 1x 100mb interface.

As Router on a Stick only needs 1 port to trunk, I'd say you are good in this aspect...

I'll let the more knowledgeable people answer the rest =p

[Edit]
    Another item of note is you should have at least one dual FastEthernet router with enough memory to run the T version of the IOS so you can do all the IDS/IPS labs.
    from www.certificationkits.com/ccnp-lab-suggestions/

I guess that's what you won't be able to do? but i really don't know, not CCNP level yet. sorry
    Studying: vmware, CompTIA Linux+, Storage+ or EMCISA
    Future: CCNP, CCIE
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That sounds like allot of money, your quoted price must be for all 3 of them?

It was hard to win the ebay auction but i got a 2651xm for $75.00 free shipping.

Link shows spec 2610 ~ 2651
    Cisco 2600 Series Modular Access Routers* [Cisco 2600 Series Multiservice Platforms] - Cisco Systems

I don't see the processor listed on that sheet but the 2651xm has a (mpc860p) in it

edit:

here is the link about memory
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2600/hardware/installation/notes/2600mem.html
  • Options
    Sorry, i didnt make it clear, that price is for all 3 and they are 2611XM's not 2610XM like originally posted.

Take into consideration im currently in Singapore and its a very good price, im just wondering if they are worth it. Im building this lab not just for CCNA but CCNP and beyond hopefully (which is why ive got 2 3750 already).

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    It's an okay price. You CAN get them cheaper if you hold out but to get three at once It's worth it. The other thing to know is what card they have in them? A few Wic-1ts can be costly to pick up after.
  • Options
    Ahh that may be the problem, there is no cards as far as i can tell. Problem i have is, being in Singapore, i have to order them from UK/US which makes postage huge!!!!!!.

I can get them for about $30US each, is that expensive (considering postage to Singapore) how many would i need?

ive also found a Cisco NM-4A/S Serial Module (CCNP CCIE Lab 4AS 8A/S) for aroud $70US including postage

Thanks
  • Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I sold some 6 port NICs to a fella in Singapore. Shipping was crazy. USPS cost was $43.00 just for 2, 6 port nics. Seems like a very nice country though.
  • Options
    Oh dont get me wrong, i love it here, one of the best choices i made to move here(also i guess i was lucky work wanted me to move) anyway back on topic, yeh shipping lets it down, but i don't mind spending the money if its worth it. If the above prices are good, ill probably go for it.
  • Options
    TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I can't really comment at the minute as I havent got stuck into the WAN config for CCNA (still hunting down gear). I got a Cisco 2610 and 2621XM with a BRI 4B-S/T, wic 1-b ST and two WIC-1T for £22 via ebay uk. £50 after postage. For doing serial links you'll want a pair of WIC-1Ts plus the cable too.