Options

CCIE in the UK - Still worth it?

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
As subject.

Tempted, but unsure if it'll be a worthwhile investment of my time (Although the obvious kudos and ego boost would be good)

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    If you're already working with Cisco kit day in day out, I would say "Yes", especially if you can land yourself a job with a Cisco partner. If you don't, then "No".
  • Options
    Kinda, I work with Network Monitoring thus need to know how devices work so still have a hand in it.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    If you're already working with Cisco kit day in day out...
    In the US, Cisco certification isn't like Microsoft certification--it's valuable (and valued by employers) even if you work on other vendors' equipment, for example Juniper.

Not sure about the UK. :)

Do you configure/troubleshoot network devices often enough that you have the experience to back up the certification, and being an expert would make you better at your role?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i think its still very valuable. More people have it nowadays though than previously. Is it the holy grail that folk believe?! hmm, who knows, ive seen mid experienced folk move into higher roles as a result whilst also seeing those with tons of experience in the very same roles without the number.

Whether its worth approx 12-24 months out of your lifetime is another question though. Thats always the sticking point that has put me off at this stage.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    pertpert Member Posts: 250
    I do a lot of network monitoring, and while do you definitely need to have familiarity with the products your monitoring, you don't need CCIE level knowledge in a monitoring role, and it wouldn't be worthwhile pursuing a CCIE for that reason. You'd be better off becoming more familiar with other vendors and network solutions to learn how to monitor those better.
  • Options
    Maybe if I said "I want to be a Network Architect" - then I think I need a CCIE and I've just answered it :)

I didn't qualify what job role I was interested in pursuing.

Certainly don't want to stay in this role forever /yawn
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Maybe if I said "I want to be a Network Architect" - then I think I need a CCIE and I've just answered it :)

I didn't qualify what job role I was interested in pursuing.

Certainly don't want to stay in this role forever /yawn

Dave, i wouldnt get too bogged down. You dont NEED CCIE to become a network architect - hell, ive just started work as a network architect and i dont have a CCIE! Dont get me wrong, i am pursuing the DP track to plug my design gaps but it goes to show that you dont need the number in every scenario. I have no doubt that it would give you a much better chance, no doubt about it, but keep trying. I notice that your still in wales, would you consider moving for the right role? i found mine 6000 miles away from the UK :p

• Options
    Wow, you went far! Well done mate, I've been wondering how your getting on.

I'm happily married now and have been since 2010, so any move would have to have "buy-in" from my lady wife.

Not impossible though. While she still has family she wants to be close to - one day they'll not be here, and she has said that she would happily go most places :) Australia is somewhere we've talked about a few times in fact.... :D
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    Wow, you went far! Well done mate, I've been wondering how your getting on.

I'm happily married now and have been since 2010, so any move would have to have "buy-in" from my lady wife.

Not impossible though. While she still has family she wants to be close to - one day they'll not be here, and she has said that she would happily go most places :) Australia is somewhere we've talked about a few times in fact.... :D

do it mate, you wont regret it. Oz is a great place!

• Options
    Now I have really answered my own question. Asked about an internal post which is basically Network Operations Centre but 3rd line... able to get my hands dirty properly... shift allowance (so salary will go up 20%) and "very promising" were words used.

Looks like I may be moving posts into one where CCIE actually be relevant