Options

MCT vs MCITP

raevynraevyn Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am just really trying to confirm if the following exams, if passed, would earn a MCITP because for some reason I am having a difficult time understanding what will and wont and some exams go to other certs like MCT?

MCITP Enterprise Administrator core exams: (you need to pass all 4 these)

• Exam 70-640 TS: Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory
  • Exam 70-642 TS: Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure
  • Exam 70-643 TS: Configuring Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure
  • Exam 70-647 Pro: Enterprise Administrator, Windows Server 2008
Im assuming the ones above are the required exams to qualify towards a MCITP but alone they are just individual certifications on the specific exams? Does that make sense?

MCITP Enterprise Administrator Elective exams: (you need to choose and pass 1 of these)
  • Exam 70-680 TS: Configuring Windows 7
  • Exam 70-681 TS: Deploying Windows 7 and Office 2010
  • Exam 70-620 TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client
  • Exam 70-624 TS: Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops (retired)
And these are the electives.. I can pick one and if I pass it and the 4 above, I earn the MCITP as a whole?

I also saw there may be other elective exams that can be earned as well but they cant be applied towards the Enterprise Administrator MCITP but other versions of MCITP.. wow that just seems complicated in my head icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Im assuming the ones above are the required exams to qualify towards a MCITP but alone they are just individual certifications on the specific exams? Does that make sense? Yes, that's correct.

And these are the electives.. I can pick one and if I pass it and the 4 above, I earn the MCITP as a whole?
    Correct again
  • Options
    Okay that makes sense then. So all the other programs under the MCITP certification are just elective tests that "specialize" you into some area of the same MCITP certification.. am I correct?

So, if I wanted to do a virtualization exam, the same 4 core exams are required then I do the virtualzation exam and that specializes me into that field then but its still an MCITP cert is how I am interpreting it.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    No, each MCITP has its own series of exams. The MCITP: Virtualization Administrator requires 659 + 669 + 693 while the MCITP : Messaging 2010 requires 662 + 663. Each MCITP stands on its own and you can hold multiple MCITPs in different areas.
  • Options
    Ugh.. that does make it complicated sounding

Is there a place that shows like a listing of all the available MCITP certs there are with a breakdown of what exams are needed? Like a simple graph that anyone knows of?
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here is a road map for the MS cert paths.

Microsoft Certification paths diagram

M$ has them laid out in a table here MCITP (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) | Training Courses for IT Professionals

Cert name on the left, required exams in the center, and lifecycle (exp dates) in the rightmost tab. If you follow the tables straight across, the certification on the left requires the tests in the center to earn that certification.

For example, MCITP:Enterprise Administrator requires that you pass the following 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647, and either 70-620 OR 70-680 OR 70-681.

And, like Claymoore said above, each of the MCITP tracks requires its own set of exams. Some of the exams will pass over to the other tracks, but some will not.

Hope this helps out.

Gene

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator on Windows Server 2008

Exam 70-640

Exam 70-642
    Exam 70-643
    Exam 70-647
    plus either

Exam 70-620
    or

Exam 70-680

or
    Exam 70-681

This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013. Exams 70-620, 70-643, 70-647, and
    70-681 will retire on July 31, 2013.

MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008

Exam 70-640
    Exam 70-642
    Exam 70-646

This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013. Candidates who pass Exams 70-640, 70-642, and 70-646 will continue to earn the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification after the MCITP: Server Administrator on Windows Server 2008 certification is no longer available.

MCITP: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2

Exam 70-669
    Exam 70-693
    and either
    Exam 70-659
    or
    Exam 70-652

This certification will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013. Exams 70-659, 70-669, and 70-693 will retire on July 31, 2013.

Exam 70-652 is retired. If you have already passed Exam 70-652, you can apply it towards this certification.

• Options
    Oh I think it just clicked then.

I looking at the M$ website, I see that if I want to be a MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 I would only need to pass two exams,

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-685

So it is an MCITP but does not require learning those 4 core exams I mentioned at the start of the thread huh
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    You have MCITP for various verticals/domains. So you can get a MCITP Exchange Admin by clearing 2 exams, same with SQL, the question is what is your end objective. If you want to work in the Desktop environment, Enterprise Desktop or similar MCITP is available. If you want to work as a Server Admin then start with MCITP:EA or SA.
    My suggestion will be start small with MCTS, see how well you do and how long it takes you and then decide on your game plan. I made the mistake of looking at this site and thinking doesn't look very difficult, I can do this in 6 months. Trust every exam is a struggle
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    MessiasMessias Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi there! I also need help to understand this issues! I would like to apply and become a MCITP, Can just apply for one exame and become a MCITP or i must follow all those MCTS exames? If you could e-mal me with explanations will be to much aprecieted. Messi
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    raevyn wrote: »
    Oh I think it just clicked then.

I looking at the M$ website, I see that if I want to be a MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7 I would only need to pass two exams,

Exam 70-680

Exam 70-685

So it is an MCITP but does not require learning those 4 core exams I mentioned at the start of the thread huh
    @raevyn Yes, that is correct for that MCITP you only need to pass those 2 exams.

Gene
  • Options
    buzzkillbuzzkill Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Microsoft will soon be introducing an MCITP: Understanding the MCITP tracks.

200px-Trollface.svg.png
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    buzzkill wrote: »
    Microsoft will soon be introducing an MCITP: Understanding the MCITP tracks.

200px-Trollface.svg.png

Ha. Poor guys. Microsoft is going to replace the MCITPs before they can even understand the certification path.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    Microsoft runs the world lol..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.