Options

Desktop Support (Level 1 Help desk)

navdeep_mannnavdeep_mann Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am going for an interview in few days. It is a level 1 help desk support job and a senior system administrator and HR manager is going to interview. What kind of question should I expect?

I don't have 2 years experience, but I have CCNA, A+ and ITIL.

Here is what the job description is:

Job Objectives:

1. Provide technical support for the Velcro companies’ computer systems and applications
to local and remote users.
2. Investigates and resolves software and hardware problems of computer users in a fast
paced, high demand environment.

Essential Job Functions:
· Answers, evaluates, and prioritizes incoming telephone, voice mail, e-mail, and in-person requests for assistance from users experiencing problems with hardware, software, networking, and other computer-related technologies.
· Handles problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution and follow-up for routine user problems, referring more complex problems to supervisor or technical staff.
· Logs and tracks all calls using ticket tracking system
· Assists in software and hardware upgrades and new installations.
· Install personal computers, software, and peripheral equipment
· Perform installations and changes to user's workstations and assign requests to other technical staff member as needed.
· Assists in spyware and virus removal.
· Enters pertinent resolution information and procedures into knowledge base.
· Trains users on software and hardware on-site, as required.
· Documents procedures as required.
· Maintain moderate level of proficiency in software and applications supported by IT.
· Assists in miscellaneous tasks as needed.

Required Skills:
2+ years experience Level 1 Helpdesk
Knowledge of hardware and networking
Proficient in Windows
Excellent communication skills and documentation skills
Excellent customer service skills
A+ certification is a nice to have

Comments

• Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Expect general troubleshooting questions to be given to you to test your knowledge of windows, Office, network and active directory.

i'll give you a few questions I could think of I'd ask.

1. We use Microsoft Exchange, tell me two ways you can find what mail server my mailbox is hosted on without using any of the Exchange tools.

2. A user calls in a complains that they can't connect to Exchange and they get a popup that says "Windows needs your current credentials" what does this error mean and how do you resolve it?

3. How do you setup a network printer in Windows XP?

4. What are you favorite anti-virus or malware removal tools you like to use?

5. You've spent a long time working on an issue and can't seem to find an anwser what would you do next?

6. Do you prefer working on a team or by yourself?

7. An upset user calls in and is angry and frustrated, how would you defuse the situation?

finally

8. A remote user calls in and states that they had their password changed the day before but now when they login to their laptop they still need to use the old password. They want to use their new password instead how do you resolve this?

Answer to the best of your ability. I hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Thanks wweboy, I guess I have to improve my exchange knowledge.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks wweboy, I guess I have to improve my exchange knowledge.

That completely misses the mark. At level-1, you're expected to be technically incompetent, but you still need to be tenacious and drive every customer issue to a resolution.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not technical, but another piece of advice is to be relaxed. Smile and laugh if its appropriate. They are not just looking at yur tech skills but also your personality. Skills come with time and experience. A good people person with the desire to learn and is teachable is very appealing too!

Don't get too hung up if you don't know an answer. You are not going to know everything. How you carry and present yourself when you don't know is also very important.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    Your resume said CCNA and A+. An interviewer wouldn't expect you to have deep Exchange knowledge. You still should have a logical answer to every question.
    wweboy wrote: »
    1. We use Microsoft Exchange, tell me two ways you can find what mail server my mailbox is hosted on without using any of the Exchange tools.
    1. Guide the user through opening the options/preferences settings in their e-mail client.
    2. Check the IT knowledgebase. If a solution isn't there, ping a co-worker or the server admin for help, and then add a "How to Find A User's Mail Server" FAQ to the knowledgebase.
    2. A user calls in a complains that they can't connect to Exchange and they get a popup that says "Windows needs your current credentials" what does this error mean and how do you resolve it?
    Credentials refers to his username/password. If it's asking for those, ask him to type them in. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd Google the error message--Google's great when you have a clear error to go on! If that doesn't work and there's nothing in the knowledgebase.. well, that's why there's level-2 support. You'd try to find out the urgency and importance of this, find out when this began and how long it's been happening, best contact info, etc. and document what you tried so it's solved in a timely manner and the next level has as much info as possible to go on.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Always remember in a Helpdesk environment, its not important what all you know its more important that you know how & where to find the solution. icon_lol.gif
    I remember one of my ex-boss said that to me a long time back
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wow two years of experience for a level 1 position? Well, to the real point. I agree a large portion of this will be related to personality and dealing with end users. Most interviewers may not even expect a full answer, but really want to see how you proceed to troubleshoot. In my experience, a lot of times the interviews were never really that technical. They really felt like a BS session that ended with "yup you'll do." Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Wow two years of experience for a level 1 position? Well, to the real point. I agree a large portion of this will be related to personality and dealing with end users. Most interviewers may not even expect a full answer, but really want to see how you proceed to troubleshoot. In my experience, a lot of times the interviews were never really that technical. They really felt like a BS session that ended with "yup you'll do." Good luck!

Yeah I don't mean any harm, but 2 years experience in what way? If you already have two years a a HD1 then you should be moving up the latter some by now. Don't short yourself!
  • Options
    Devilry wrote: »
    Yeah I don't mean any harm, but 2 years experience in what way? If you already have two years a a HD1 then you should be moving up the latter some by now. Don't short yourself!
    I know some great people who are lifelong L1s. Some like their roles. Others aren't willing to put in the work to move up. Some aren't capable of moving up. If you're happy, it's all good. :)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network is correct some people like staying in those roles, usually you won't find those people in a certification forum. They go to work collect a paycheck and go home. Some of these people are the nicest people you could ever meet.

As far as what to expect. Basic software and hardware questions IMO. Like Grinch mentioned mostly personality if I had to guess.
  • Options
    phaneuf1phaneuf1 Member Posts: 131
    the_Grinch wrote: »

I work in a level 1 Helpdesk position that requires at least 3 years of experience. You can't judge a job by its title. There are some level 1 support jobs that require a High school diploma and no experience and some that will require a bachelor in computer science with 3 years of experience. It all depends of the required skills. And usually the salary will give you a good idea of what to expect. I make 51K and it's worth every penny. All businesses are different and sometime, it's impossible to start at the second level support because you don't know the environment enough to fix what 1st level agents couldn't resolve. at my job (in a large bank) the average time before employees get promoted is 3 years. You see? Your statement is based on a title and is full of judgement and generalization.
  • Options
    I went to interview and it went very well. There were two people interviewing me. The system administrator liked me. She took me to her office and told about company and transition phase of company. Even my recruiter said that they liked me. I was very hopeful about this job and now I was told by my recruiter that they want to interview more people than they previously did. I am kinda frustrated after being too close to get this position. What you guys think? should I move on or hold and wait for things? I feel like sending an email to system administer. is it good move?
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Never wait around for a position. Going for one at a time will greatly extend your job hunt and give you less options to choose from.

If you get multiple offers then you're in a very good position.
  • Options
    Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't let it get to you, it's happening to many people right now. I've had many interviews and they all say the same thing. I would probably move on, I feel that if they really like you they will hire you.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • Options
    What you guys think? should I move on or hold and wait for things? I feel like sending an email to system administer. is it good move?

You shouldn't stop interviewing until you've agreed upon a contract. As far as whether to send her an e-mail thanking her for the interview, sure, it's polite and takes minutes. :)
  • Options
    I got feedback from my recruiter. He told me that HR lady thinks I speak too fast lol!. Well, its time to move on to other one.
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Take that as constructive criticism, well done for getting the interview and use that to push forward.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]